60

As the figure warms in your hand, you focus your thoughts on keeping the horde of vampires and drones away from the exit. As the spell comes to an end, the figurine rises up and enlarges. After only a moment, it has grown as big as a real horse and proceeds to buck and kick at anyone who draws near to you.

However, despite having conjured up a rather impressive beast, there's just too many vampires and drones coming at you all at once. The horse is able to hold them off for a little while, but they soon overpower both the steed and you. You lose sight of your golden creature as a wave of bodies crashes against you. All you can see is hands, faces, and fangs in a blur of blood.

You don't know if they make it out in time to escape Ferris's wrath. The first vamp bit into your neck, the second into your shoulder, the next your arm, the next your stomach, the next your leg. They tear at your clothes, exposing your flesh to dig their bite in deeper. You only feel the sting of their kiss for a moment. The fire of their venom should have followed, but with so many vampires drawing out your blood at once, you are drained too quickly to even get that far. Your vision turns to colored blotches and your thoughts grow tired and heavy, until you can't be bothered to think or feel anything.

At least they killed you completely. You aren't trapped behind the visage of your former self, traveling the world as a mindless drone. Instead, you died a martyr for the cause in an epic blaze of glory that will be sung of in the tavern for years to come by those that managed to survive the night.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and see if you can find the best weapon to use against the vampires and their drones?