91

You tear off the silver pin as Ell sends his hand for your throat. He pins you to the ground and though he could crush your windpipe with a shift of his weight, he keeps you alive and breathing. Your blood isn't as good if you're dead.

However, that need to drain you costs him time and his disregard for your free and mobile limbs gives you a chance to strike. With the silver pin clasped between your fingers, you shoot your fist up into his throat. He swats your hand away as if you were a fly, but your aim wasn't to damage him with your own brute force. It was to send a shockwave through his system as the purity of the silver burns his tainted blood.

In the space of a breath, your attack takes affect and Ell realizes what you have done. However that realization doesn't save him from the searing pain in his throat. He reels backwards as he gasps and sputters, his hands clawing at his neck. With him distracted, you pop off the ground, roaring with your own wave of pain as you do so. Clutching your side, you hobble towards the door. There a drone awaits, but since Ell has yet to order him to stop you, he can only stand there and watch you run through the entranceway. You know though, that this small blessing will be stolen from you in the matter of seconds. Ell will recover. Then, he and his drones will pursue. You can't outrun him and you can't hide from a vamp on the hunt. However, you can reach Ferris before he does.

You zip past the ballroom where vamps and villagers still dance in ignorance, none noticing your race to freedom as you sprint by. Ell, however, is behind you and you can hear the rapid approach of several pairs of feet. He screams out over your head, telling the drones guarding the room to get you. The guards at the door and those that were with the coven inside, rush out and surround you. You collapse before them, exhaustion racking your body. From between their legs, you spy the lounge door just out of reach. You wait for the end, however, the drones don't strike. Instead they trap you in place so that Ell can execute you himself.

"Ferris!" you yell, the word breathless upon your chapped lips.

"No more, rebel!" shouts Ell, who grabs your shoulder and turns you so that your neck is open and vulnerable. His face has grown hard and stony, sharp peaks replace the once soft curves of his cheek bones and brows, his nose and ears look menacing and pointed, and his jaw appears to unhinge in order to better sink his elongated canines into your neck.

You tense, your eyes close as a scream catches in your throat. However, it is not your shrill cry that fills the hall.

Ell falls back, his body engulfed in flames, his hands tearing at his skin as he burns a bright red. He crumbles to the ground, his clothes burning away, his flesh turning to ash. The drones watch as their master smolders. You, however, can't get caught up in the spectacle. The drones only act out precise orders from their masters. However, once their master is dead their sole drive in life is to kill their master's murderer — a design that helps quell much of the in-fighting in vamp society. You, though, aren't sure if they count accomplices in that equation, so you get up and run for the lounge before Ell is officially a pile of dust.

"Micah, you're all right!" cheered Ferris.

"Not now, let's move!" Thankfully, most of the coven is already well on their way back through the tunnel in their retreat. You grab Ferris by the arm and push him along with promises of celebration once you are safe and the drones are off your heels.

You manage to get back to the tavern cellar in one piece and once you are there, the coven seals the tunnel and begins a second ritual. This time their spell grants the drones peace by breaking their covenant with their masters. As drones are dead bodies powered by the vampire's toxin, once the drones are freed, they will die completely. You mourn for their loss of eternity, but still feel grateful that you live to see the next day.

For years after the rebellion, the town struggled to find itself with no vampire overseeing it. Some resented Ferris and you, but others slowly realized how happy they were to have a life of their own control.

As for the vampires, you all knew that one day, once they'd licked their wounds, they'd want to reclaim the town. Thanks to Ferris and your guidance though, your town is prepared for the takeover. Magic is commonplace and mages practice daily for the arrival of the vamps. You know they won't take your town again and you'll continue to burn any vamp that tries.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story!  Why not go back and see what happens when you can't fight off Ell...