185

You imagine Ferris can take care of himself, but for now you need to stick with the plan and find the herd.

"Ailisa, before you go, there's something I need to tell you." You hesitate, trying to work out the mechanics of your plan as you execute it. "You see, I was embarrassed earlier, but I can't let my fear keep me from helping her."

"Helping who?" asks your friend. "What's going on, Micah?"

"It's Gianette, she... she's not coming with my dress. She's actually joined the herd. I think she can't bare the thought of being a breeder. So now she's trying to end it by becoming a drone. But I know she would make a great mother and I want to convince her to stay." You take a deep breath and watch Ailisa as she digests your words. When she still hasn't said anything, you continue. "I didn't want to get pulled away in the ball, so I decided to dress into something like this so I could sneak in and sneak out without being seen."

"Oh, okay," she says with a nod, before frowning. "I know Gianette was really upset when she returned. To think, though, she'd want to become a drone before her time."

"I know," you say, a relieved smile stretching your lips. "But, yeah, that's how it is and I need to find the herd to..."

"Why not talk to the duke and set things straight?"

"Oh no, I wouldn't want to..."

"He's coming now," says Ailisa with a squeal of joy, her teeth biting her lip as her eyes go wide. "He's got his mask in his hand!"

"T-that's great, Ailisa," you mumble.

She runs past you and you turn slowly to see the large, burly vampire who holds claim over your town. He pets Ailisa's long silky hair, smiling into her eyes as he hands her his mask, before shifting into a subtle snarl and watching you from the corners of his eyes.

"Dear Ailisa, you were supposed to wait in the lounge."

"Yes, my lord, please forgive me." Even with the mask on, you can still see the vibrant blush of excitement coloring her cheeks. "I met my friend Micah on my way there and she has a frightful dilemma."

"Does she now?" he asks, stepping towards you.

"Yes, you see her sister..."

Before Ailisa can plead your case, the duke shoots out his arm, snags you by the throat and thrusts you against the wall. You recoil from the pain, but that only antagonizes him. His grip grows stronger and his sharp nails cut into your neck so that your blood trickles over them.

"My lord?" whispers Ailisa.

"Your friend here has a particular smell. It's subtle, but it's there."

"W-what smell my lord?" asks Ailisa who quivers in the middle of the hall, watching you with wet eyes.

"I don't know, but I can feel it pulling at me. What have you...?"

Just as you wonder if you'll even get a chance to answer him with his hand crushing your windpipe, he stops.

"What's that sound?" he asks, his lip curling as he drops you to the floor.

"Sound?" asks your friend, her voice exasperated with all the questions burning her tongue.

He doesn't answer though. Instead, he lumbers off towards the lounge with a growl, deeming the sound presently vexing him to be more of a threat than the smell—likely the lingering scent of wolf—clinging to you.

He's cautious while approaching the door. He's not a complete beast and knows better than to simply charge in. So you have time to draw his attention away—to perhaps provide an even greater, more immediate threat to discourage him from pursuing the sound of the mages' chant. However, you really need to blow him away to get his attention. Perhaps if you use a prop to further make your point, you'll have an easier job drawing his focus. However, you don't have much on you. There's the silver pin you bought with Ailisa, the water skin you took from home, and the ice pick from the cellar. Which will catch his eye?

- Silver Pin: ch 190

- Water Skin: ch 191

- Ice pick: ch 192