113

Not looking to face a vamp directly or indirectly, you decide to go on the defensive. You twist around and grab a jack-o-lantern from off the tavern's stoop. You close your eyes and recite the charm, fearful that you may not finish in time to save your sister. Once you complete the ward, you snap your eyes open just in time to see Ell rebound off of the barrier and head straight into the bakery storefront with a painful thud.

Your sister's shaggy head turns to assess the threat, but decides to contend with another attacker before bounding off and out of sight. Ell, however, hasn't lost sight of you. They pick themselves up off the ground and lurch a shoulder back in place with a sickening pop. There's a sort of limp in their step, but vamps heal fast, depending on the severity of the wound, and you guess an uncomfortable collision with a wall won't take long to mend itself.

Their steps quicken as you stumble backward. You can cast another ward, but you need to disenchant the jack-o-lantern to redirect the charm to yourself. You aren't sure you have the time to do that and panic is fumbling upon your lips. You keep restarting the spell as your stuttering tongue butcher's the words with every try. You're on your fifth attempt when Ell launches themself at you with enough ferocity to snag you before anymore words can leave your mouth. Fortunately, Ell seems to be having a worse night than you.

They once again bounce off an invisible wall before skidding over the dirt road. You look down at your jack-o-lantern, curious how you managed the ward without completing the spell. That's when you hear a welcome and unexpected voice.

"Micah, you good?"

You turn to find Ferris holding his own jack-o-lantern, as well as the rest of the coven standing anxiously behind him.

"Yes, what are you doing here?" you ask, running over to join their side.

"Taking advantage of the werewolves' surprise attack. We're going to perform our ritual now. I think given the circumstances, even you can agree that we have a shot now." There's some bite of resentment in Ferris's words and you try to apologize, but he waves you off. "Now's not the time. You want to make it up to us, then help fend off the vamps while we complete the ritual. It's not as quick as a ward spell. Do you think you can manage that?"

You look around at the battlefield. The werewolves have the vamps completely occupied. Most of the town's human villagers keep safe upon their stoops as they watch the battle unfold, though those that find themselves too close to the battle, disappear behind locked doors just in case a wounded vamp needs some fresh blood to hasten the healing process. Right now, everyone seems distracted, but you know the second a vamp happens to notice a cluster of humans holding hands and chanting, the werewolves will no longer be priority one. You may find a swarm of vamps on your hands in a matter of seconds. Especially considering Ell is beginning to recover from the hit they took from a much stronger ward.

"Okay, I can do it," you say, eager to prove to Ferris your loyalty to him. You don't know spells like the rest of the coven does, but you do know the basics. If you find an object to focus your energy through, you can do a simple charm that could help fend off the vampires. You'll have little in way of control, though, since you are so fresh to magic.

"Whatever you can give us, we'll take," says Ferris, before turning around and immediately starting the ritual with the coven.

You, in turn, look out to the battlefield. Ell is rising up with a groan and they'll have the vamps on all of you soon. So you look around you for something to channel the spell. You have the silver pin you bought earlier, the statue of the embracing couple that you took from the lounge, and the pepper shaker from the tavern. One of those must be able to fend off the vampires, right?

- Silver Pin: ch 127

- Couple Statue: ch 128

- Pepper Shaker: ch 129