11

You pull the pin from off your robe and then hand over your other weapons to one of the wolves. The wolf eyes the small but lengthy pin in your hand with uncertainty, but doesn't say a word as she walks out of the ring with your pistol and rope. You brace yourself in a fighting stance as the alpha looks over you once more, his brow raised with curiosity.

"A trial by blood is a trial of honor," declares the alpha. "Go!"

Just as your ears register the start of the fight, Daniel is already sprinting forward, darting in a zigzag line before taking a swipe at your arm. You recoil from the blow, your stance stumbling, though your hand tightens around the pin, keeping it firmly in your grip. You regain your footing just in time to spot Daniel making his next pass. You manage to dodge, but only by the skin of your teeth.

He moves quickly, but his speed is unwieldy and he needs time to halt his momentum forward in order to turn around. You narrowly escape his next pass, but this time you're prepared for his turn around. As he takes his time arching around the circle and repositioning himself for his next strike, you balance your core, spreading your legs and bending slightly into a strike position. You don't think you'll have more than just this shot. His speed is so quick that a miss will likely result in your weapon being knocked out of your hand.

He has you in his sights. He races forward. You duck under his swing and stab the pin forward into the exposed pit of his arm. His reaction is so fierce and so sudden that you are dragged down with him as he writhes in pain. He swats at your hand, but not with intent to hurt, all he wants is for the shard of silver that is burning his skin to be withdrawn from his arm.

"Enough!" says the alpha, his declaration a deafening boom. "Enough," he continues in a lower voice as he approaches his wounded wolf. He kneels down and places a hand on Daniel's back as the young man heaves through his pain. "You will heal by the time we get down to the hall, but I don't want to push you, so you will take up the rear with Gianette and guard the mages while they chant their spell."

"So, it is an allegiance then?" asks Ferris.

"Your mage won, so now we battle. Forward!"

Before you can even register your win, the whole party is headed back to town.

The wolves maintain their human form, except for one, which transforms and sprints toward town, her speed rendering her as a blur streaking into the shadows of the alleyways. The rest of the pack and coven, however, continue straight into the main street that leads to the great hall where the Harvest Ball is held. The few townsfolk that had not been invited to the ball, peer out from their windows or step out on to their stoops to watch you pass. Some of the coven cast wary gazes towards their fellow citizens, but the werewolves keep a steady march forward. Then, you reach your goal.

Not long after you arrive, the same wolf that had sped before you, peels out of the double doors of the hall and in her wake comes a horde of vampires with fangs bared. However, even the bravest of vamps skid to a halt once they register the pack transforming before them. Utterly caught off guard, the wolves take the upper hand and leave you and the coven to your work.

Ferris spares not a moment. Once the fight begins, he has you join hands and begin the chant he taught you over the years. Though you concentrate on the spell, you can feel the brush of a warm, furry body against the back of your legs every now and then. Gianette didn't just suffer a bite after her fight with the alpha, she was initiated into the pack. As a wolf, along with Daniel, she maintains a tight circle around the coven, warding off any vamp that manages to break the pack's ranks. They, however, don't have a chance to defend you. It only takes about five minutes to complete the chant without interruption. The next thing you hear is the screech of vampires as their bodies are set on fire.

Soon piles of ash litter the streets and the drones, that once served those vampires, turn into murderous zombies with no master to lead them. Ferris, however, knew of this consequence and though you had not been prepared with the spell, the rest of the coven is able to make quick work of freeing the drones from their immortal servitude, allowing them to take their final rest.

Thanks to the coven's help, the wolves were granted a quick and decisive battle, not losing a single member of the pack. The alpha, eager to finally find a land free from the vampire's claim, decides to set up his pack permanently on the outskirts of town. With their help and with Ferris's leadership, no vampire is ever able to reclaim control. Some left town in hopes of continuing their dream of immortality, but many soon learned the joys of freedom that Ferris's rebellion bestowed.

As for you, you continued to learn the ways of magic from Ferris, while enjoying the close contact you can now maintain with your sister. You aren't sure what your future holds, but you are grateful you have the freedom to decide your own fate.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story!  Why not go back and see what happens when your fight with Daniel doesn't end so well...