178

You wrap your fist around the pin, which is too small for the bloodthirsty vamp to notice. Soon after, the vampire reaches for your jaw in an effort to expose your neck for his teeth. You take the opportunity while you have it and use your free arm to stab the pin deep into his own neck. He hisses, the silver pin searing his skin. He recoils, jumping off of you while he writhes and sputters.

You regain your feet, but you know that it won't take long for the vampire to recover. So you turn to survey the battlefield and find that most of the wolves have formed a tight circle, keeping their backs guarded in the center. You decide that's exactly where you need to be and so you leap forward, charging as fast as your legs will carry you.

You see an opening in the bodies, just big enough for you to squeeze past and dive into the safety of the circle, but a hand on your shoulder prevents you from going any further.

Turning, you find the vampire with his mouth wide and his teeth angled towards your neck. You don't have time to counter his attack and your heart beats heavy inside your throat.

Then, his head is gone.

A blur of blonde fur leapt through the air and snagged his head in her massive jaws before lurching him to the ground. Then she popped his skull as if she were simply biting into a grape and yanked it from his neck.

You try not to think about how that mass of blood and fur is your sister and instead remind your stomach that survival is more important than disgust. Allowing gratitude to quell your nausea, you dart into the circle and take up position there. Standing on your tip toes, you look over the muscular canines and watch the battle unfold. Now and again, a wolf is left exposed and you take it upon yourself to call out to them, notifying the vulnerable wolf when a vampire is about to take advantage of an unprotected flank.

With your help, the wolves dodge the opportunistic assaults and after a difficult battle, the day is won.

Though, Colin still does not appreciate your lack of regard for his orders, he has respect for your tenacity and courage. He allows you to follow the pack and learn their ways before putting you to the test. You swear you'll go with them as far as they'll let you and that you won't ever leave your sister's side again. Fortunately, the wolves don't plan on going very far. Gianette convinces Colin to set the pack up in the forests surrounding the town so they can make themselves a proper home while also protecting the town from any further attempts to be farmed by vampires.

It's there, in the comfort of the home you've always known and loved, that you prove yourself to the wolves and become a full member of the pack. You spend the remainder of your days enjoying the strong bond of the werewolves and understanding the true meaning of family.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens when you try to attack with one of the other weapons...