207

You don't know what Ell's game is, but you don't trust a vamp you've only known for a few minutes. However, perhaps there's still some hope left in Velt.

"Velt!" you call, taking a few steps into the hallway, but being cautious to keep your distance. "Remember your duty to your p—"

The words are knocked from you, a drone ramming his fist into your chest before grabbing hold of your neck and slamming you into a mirror that had once served as decoration upon the wall. Shards of glass collect in your hair and slice your skin, your blood flowing freely and soaking into the collar of your shirt.

With the drone's hand still tight upon your throat, air becomes precious and your eyes lose focus. Blackness swallows your sight, but then the hold upon your neck releases and you crumble to the floor where pieces of glass stab into your knees and forearms. You, however, don't have enough air in your lungs to scream, and you gasp and writhe upon the ground.

You force your breath to stabilize through clenched teeth and you crawl out of the puddle of glass and collapse upon a piece of clear carpet. With your vision returning, you find Ell contesting with the duke and his two drones all on her own. Velt is no where to be found, but you care little of what becomes of him. You placed your bet on the wrong monster and now you need to make amends.

Ell darts and dodges, her movements quick and precise, but she's easily outnumbered and won't be able to continue on as she is. She saved your neck, now you have to do what you can to save hers. If you can even the playing field, then Ell may stand a chance against the slower, larger vamp.

You'll need an item to focus your spell, though, and you need to pick one fast to make sure Ell is still in one piece when you call forth your magic. You look at what you've collected through the night: there's the silver pin you bought with Ailisa, the water skin from home, and the butter knife you stole. You need to pick one now. Ell can't hold on for much longer.

- Silver Pin: ch 232

- Water Skin: ch 233

- Butter Knife: ch 234