7

"Ferris, I'll only be a hindrance," you say, taking his hand and giving it a pat. "I wish you luck my friend, but I was simply not prepared for such a drastic action tonight."

"I appreciate your honesty," he says with a slight bow of his head. "If you lacked confidence while chanting the spell, it could have offset the balance and ruined the casting. So being true to yourself is for our benefit."

"Be safe." You give his hand a squeeze and then watch as the coven files into the wall and disappears into the depths of the roughly hewn tunnel. With a sigh, you turn around and exit through the cellar doors.

Once outside, you look around the abandoned street. All is quiet and you shiver at the thought that soon it may be filled with blood and screaming. You're grateful that, for now at least, your sister is safe and away from town. Then, however, you think of your other friend -- Ailisa.

Your eyes stretch wide as you look down to the golden windows of the great hall. Figures flit about before the windows, dancing and prancing, unaware that a massacre may break out at any moment. And one of those fools is Ailisa.

You run down the road, slowing your pace as you draw up to the doors. Two drones stand guard, their bodies stiff and still, while their eyes watch you take each step up, following you with an empty gaze.

"Pardon me," you say, straightening out your robes and shaking your shoulders loose, "but I ran into a bit of trouble earlier that sadly has made me late for the ball. My name is Micah Dupree. I'll be on the list."

One drone lifts a long scroll of parchment from a bag on his belt and scans over it with quick darts of his eyes. Eventually, he goes completely still and time appears to have frozen on the steps of the hall. You fight the agitation tapping your foot and remind yourself that to assault a drone is to assault a vamp. However, time is slipping away.

Finally, he looks up to the other drone and gives a nod. With practiced care, they open the double doors at the same time and a wave of music, wine, and laughter washes over you. You step in from the crisp autumn air, your breath heavier as the heat of the swinging bodies beats against your skin. You pull at the collar of your heavy robe, wishing you had had the time to return home and change. You look rather odd in the bulky drapery compared to the silken dresses and tailored suits. However, you shake your embarrassment away and recall your goal of finding Ailisa before it is too late.

"I see you are without a mask," purred a cool, coy voice.

You jump, swirling around to see who could have sneaked up on you so quickly. Of course, it had to be a vampire. This particular one is...

- A handsome man: ch 32

- A gorgeous vampire: ch 33

- A beautiful woman: ch 34

***

Please note this selection does not affect the story line at all.  All that it does is present the same story line but adjusts the vampire to meet your personal preference in a romantic interest.