148

You seize the pin from your chest, tearing it from your clothes before stabbing it directly into your sister's thick, furred neck. Spittle coats your face and your ears ring with pain as she howls with displeasure. Knowing how painful silver is to werewolves, you withdraw your weapon so you don't taint her blood beyond healing.

She tosses her head as she whimpers, her large body reeling backwards into the swarm of vamps, drones, and bewildered humans. Soon she is engulfed and out of sight. You want to look away, fearful the crowd may disperse to reveal your sister's corpse, but you also need to keep looking — you need to find her eyes one last time. And there, for just one second, you catch her gaze.

A human one.

In the madness, she transformed and rolled away. You know your sister's face too well to not spot it when she pops off the ground and slips into the cluster of humans searching for an exit through the back hall.

Your heart feels light until you look over at the large windows forming the entrance of the ballroom. Blood splatters paint the glass, marring the view, but it's apparent that death fills the street. You worry for Ell, but you find his arms around you soon.

"This way," he says, pulling you to another door in the ballroom, one that appears to be a servant's entrance from the kitchen.

Through there a group of drones await you.

"Allen, Frieda, Dancy, and Lemarr, you remain to aid in the fight for our allies. As for the others, let the wolves take them. The rest of you, with us to the castle." The drones move without further instruction and you flee out a back door where Ell's carriage already awaits.

"Won't you suffer?" you ask as the two of you hop in and the horses race forward. "Won't fleeing cause problems?"

"Oh yes," says Ell, though he smiles at the admission. "However, I was looked down on anyway. I'm an upstart you know? Quite young for a vamp. But, I've got my allies guarded and they'll understand my need to protect you."

"Me?"

"Don't you know? You'll be seen as the night's savior. You stopped the rebels, outed the werewolves, and even fought off your own sister. Your loyalty will not go unnoticed. In fact..." At this he stops and turns to face you. He removes your mask, his fingers brushing the side of your face as he does, his touch a gentle caress. "In fact, should you desire it, I'll turn you now. You will be royalty, a paragon among vampires." He then leans in, his hand back against the side of your face, brushing your hair in slow, mindless motions. "So what will it be? Will you allow me to be your stalwart protector and grant me the honor of ushering you into our society?"

You don't even pause to consider your answer. "Yes."

His hand slips to the back of your head, while the other rests upon your shoulder. He pulls on your hair, tilting your chin up to better expose your neck. He then glides in, sinking his teeth with ease into your skin. An initial shock of pain races down to the tips of your toes, but a quiet, calming warmth seeps in after it. Just as you feel yourself drifting away, Ell pulls back and uses his fang to cut open his wrist. He presents it to you and after the first few drops slip down your throat, you finally pass into the darkness.

When you awake, all that Ell promised, and more, is awaiting you. Many died that night, but many of Ell's allies did not. With you as a poster child of loyalty to the vampiric cause, they raise you up to gather ranks and establish a new presence in vamp society. You know a life of riches, comfort, and intrigue. A life you enjoy alongside your beloved Ell, who remains with you for eternity.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens if you can't fight off your sister...