175

You pull the silver pin from your satchel and cast a quick spell over it. It multiplies the pin upon your palm until there's enough tiny silver needles for each drone in the room. With a burst of magical energy, the pins launch through the air and strike the malicious servants in the forehead. You cringe, thinking about what sort of pain would be caused by such a piercing. However, the drones show no such reaction. Instead the force of the impact only falters their steps and soon they are back at their task.

Your spell gains the coven all of seconds with the drones now marching forward with merciless speed. Without enough time for anyone else to get a proper spell cast, the drones arrest the mages with fierce, inhuman grips. Before you can even turn to face the fireplace and the unlikely escape it offers, you feel a cold hand placed against your mouth. Your arms are wrenched behind you and a rope is wrapped tight around your wrists.

Bound and gagged, you are dragged out of the hall and thrown into a large metal carriage helmed by several sturdy black horses with thunderous hooves and manes like midnight. There you and the coven remain, jostled and bounced against the hard floor towards an uncertain destination. Exhaustion and sorrow eventually overtake you and you find solitude in your sleep.

Time passes and you awake to a searing hot pain throbbing in your neck. Your eyes pop open, but fail to adjust before you grow woozy with blood loss. You wish for a quick death, but you only get the opposite in return.

The world takes shape once again and your breath becomes slow and even. You no longer feel pain. You no longer feel anything. You've been drained of all but one drop of your blood by Duke Gagnier. You are inside his massive palace set upon a grand plateau overlooking a lush valley. However, you cannot see its beauty nor can you relish in the luxurious accommodations of his castle. You and the coven are but mindless servants, cursed to an immortal life where all you can do is watch the world unfold around you without ability to affect it.

You never learn what happened to Gianette and the wolves. You can only pray that the death of your soul brought a new life for your sister.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and try a different item to cast a spell over?