171

You think better than to speak up and meddle in the werewolves' affairs. You can already tell you've disturbed the waters enough by your mere presence and you don't want to do anything to harm Gianette's already slim chances of surviving a one-on-one battle with an alpha werewolf.

"Perhaps you are right, Velt," sighs Colin. "Go on ahead and get in place. We are relying on you to draw out the bloodsuckers."

"Yes, my alpha," he replies with a bow, which hides his relieved and giddy smile from everyone but you. "I will not fail you."

Looking as if the world just hopped off his shoulders, Velt spins upon his heel and sprints down the hillside towards the main street of town. The others forget him the moment he's gone and Colin quickly moves into the trial by battle between him and Gianette.

You try not to watch the proceedings, hoping to remain ignorant of Gianette's pain and to believe naively that she can handle this battle without breaking a sweat. Instead you focus on that look of bliss that lightened Velt's face. Something about the rise of his brow, the loosening of his lips, and the beat of his breath just didn't feel like that of a wolf about to sneak behind enemy lines.

Of course, whatever qualms you may have are yours alone. The others are fully engrossed in the fight and any interruption may prove disastrous for your sister. So you take a deep breath and face the town. You can't do any good watching Gianette get pummeled, but you can follow up behind the wolf and make certain that your suspicions are nothing more than an excitable agitation brought on by the stress of the night.

No one notices as you dash towards the street. You then slink through the alleyways, using a shortcut the wolf certainly wouldn't have known of, to get to the great hall. When you reach the avenue outside the grand building, you expect to find him slipping into the shadows behind it. Instead, he's walking up the steps to the front door and greeting the drones stationed there. After saying a few words, one drone steps inside. She returns a few minutes later with permission to allow Velt in.

Now you feel certain your anxiety is warranted. Clenching your fists and squeezing away your nerves, you head up to the stairs yourself, in hopes of following the rogue wolf.

"What is it you want?" asked one of the drones, his stance stiff and his eyes cold.

"I've been invited. I'm just running a little late to the ball."

Though you feel compelled to straighten your tunic and dust off your trousers, you know the chilling gaze of his eyes only comes from his lack of emotion and not from any judgment on your attire. So long as you are on the list, they cannot stop you from entering.

"Name?" he asks, pulling a scroll of paper from a small satchel clipped to his belt.

"Micah..."

"Guards," chimes a bright voice as the heavy wooden doors open to reveal...

- A handsome man: ch 196

- A gorgeous vampire: ch 197

- A beautiful woman: ch 198

***

Please note this selection does not affect the story line at all. All that it does is present the same story line but adjusts the vampire to meet your personal preference in a romantic interest.