174

If you've learned anything from your short time with the wolves, it's that you listen to the alpha. You were commanded to stay in the back and so you will.

You can't see much of anything except the backsides of all the wolves ahead of you, but eventually you sense a stir rippling through the pack and before you can assess for yourself what is happening, the wolves launch themselves out into the street.

You take a deep breath and chase after them, rounding the corner of the alley and finding your sister, now a blonde haired wolf, streaking out from the hall with a flood of vampires trailing behind her. Your muscles tense as you realize the scope of what you are about to take part in, as well as the fact that you are the only human amidst a battle of beasts. Instinct tells you to turn now and not look back, and you know if you were to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction, you can avoid the battle completely. Yet you pick up your pace and draw up behind the back line of the wolves instead. The thought of your sister possibly dying tonight is the only thing that keeps you from fainting where you stand.

For the most part, you see very little action. The wolves form a tight wall between you and the vampires. However, the night walkers are known for their stealthy, strategic ways. You catch sight of one slinking through the cornfield along the road, drawing up behind a shaggy ginger wolf on the outskirts of the pack.

"Hey!" you call, taking a few steps towards the wolf. "Hey red-haired wolf on the end! A vampire is behind..."

As you shout your warning the vamp pounces, only for the wolf to twist around and catch the enemy in his jaws. With a vicious clench of his teeth, the head of his assailant falls to the ground and the body goes limp. The wolf spits out the remains and you wonder what good you can possibly do for a group of animals engineered to be the ultimate hunters and trackers. Yet, before you can lament your inefficiency, the ginger wolf catches your eye and gives a quick nod before returning to the fray.

Hopeful your words actually did some good, you try to be the watchful eye for the pack. You catch a few more vamps sneaking along the sides, but after awhile you realize just how poor your vantage point is.

Spotting the grocer's cart a little ways up in the field of battle, you push past a wolf grappling with a vampire and climb up to the top of the cart. From there you can see over the giant burly bodies of the werewolves and better spot the slinking figures of the quick vampires.

It takes awhile to set up a good form of communication since you don't know names, but eventually, the wolves learn who is the brown-with- white-spot wolf and who is the brown- with-white-paws wolf. Once there's an understanding, vampires don't stand a chance with sneaking up on any wolves. With your help, the stalemate begins to shift in favor of the wolves.

Unsurprisingly, this gains some notice.

As you are about to call out to black-with-red-ears, the wind is knocked from you and splinters stab your arms as you skirt across the old wooden platform of the cart. You gasp and sputter, regaining control of your lungs, only to have the air expelled from them in a screech of pain.

A vampire has you pinned to the floor, her teeth deep into your neck as she drains your blood. Though the vamps may want you dead as soon as possible, the fact is, they are losing and you are still a source of rejuvenating blood. Which in turn gives you a small window of time to retaliate before you are gone completely.

Banking on the vampire being severely wounded, and thus fairly weak, you plant your hands against her shoulders and push her away with every ounce of strength that remains in your weakening body. She stumbles back, knocking into some crates of apples as she does. She lacks the strength and coordination of a healthy vampire. You have a chance, but it's likely now or never. You need to draw out a weapon and end this quickly before she manages to latch onto you again because next time you won't be able to push her away.

You have a few weapons at your disposal. There's the sharp silver pin you bought with Ailisa, the thick leather water skin you took from home, and the spiked knuckles you received from the pack. Which will do the most damage to the angered vamp?

- Silver Pin: ch 181

- Water Skin: ch 182

- Spiked Knuckles: ch 183