214

You pull out your silver pin and slip it between your fingers as you make a fist. Your sister's stance must be more about intimidation, rather than a true threat, since she meets the swing of your punch with confusion instead of dodging. The blow you land pierces the pin through Gianette's skin and the pain sends her reeling. Perhaps if she were a more established wolf, the quick prick would not have damaged her so. However, it disorients her enough that she shifts out of her wolf form sputtering and gagging.

"That'll do," says Ell, slipping past you and snatching hold of your sister by wrapping an arm around her shoulders. Before she can even register that a vampire is touching her, Ell's free hand hovers in front of her face. With a wriggle of her fingers and a few soft words planted near Gianette's ear, your sister's body goes limp and collapses completely into the vampire's grip.

"Hurry now," Ell warns as she scoops up Gianette and carries her away from the street. "My carriage should be waiting for us just down the other street. We must make haste if we are to get out of here before that duke shows up."

You don't need her to tell you twice. You dash to the intersection Ell indicates and find a gilded carriage waiting for you, with several drone footmen ready to hoist you in to the plush car.

"What about my sister?" you ask, once you are settled into a velvet bench. "She won't be happy at your castle." You pause and look at her serene face as Ell lays her down across the opposite bench. "She won't be happy with me."

"Nor do I want a wolf tearing up my curtains," she says with a sigh, taking the seat next to you. "But she belongs to a pack now and though they may have fled the town, they only did so to find a more advantageous position. They're likely watching us as we speak. They don't leave their kind behind." She then laughs to herself, her eyes turned to the small window. "It's odd to think a vampire could ever be jealous of a wolf, but I suppose they do some things right."

You don't need to know Ell's history, to know where her thoughts draw from. Every vamp has known the terror of in-fighting in some form or another. That's why Gianette is here in the first place after all. You hope Ell's assessment about the wolves is correct, so that Gianette can finally know a stable and loyal home.

As the carriage rumbles over the cobbles and then rolls out onto the dirt road of the countryside, word from the driver warns Ell of a man along the road ahead. The vampire doesn't even have to look out the window to know it's the very wolf she predicted would be there.

"You should be the one to talk to him," Ell says as she helps you out of the carriage and then hands Gianette to an awaiting drone. "He tolerates me because I helped one of his wolves, but neither of us wants to test our commitment to this truce."

You nod your head in understanding and walk the drone over to where Colin waits for you just outside of the tree line.

The man looks small now that he is human again. However, that doesn't dull the tension in his gaze.

"I see you got her back unharmed," he says, taking your sister from the drone, who then heads back to the carriage without a single word uttered.

"Well, I had to hurt her a little to get her out of wolf form. I...I never meant to..."

"I know what you did," says Colin, wrapping Gianette in a warm cloak, cocooning her tight so that only her face is visible. "Velt has long been in the back of the pack, never joining the heat of the hunt and always sitting on the outskirts of our circle. I thought this request to lure the vampires was his way of proving himself. I should have known better." He shakes his head and turns to where the town sits in the distance. "We'll have to leave soon. They have sharp noses, even if they aren't wolves. I don't know how driven they are to tracking us down, but we know places they dare not tread and I promise you, your sister will be safe so long as we leave soon."

"Then I'll let you to it," you say with a bow of your head. You start to head back to the carriage, but Colin's voice stops you.

"Are you really going with the vamp?"

"I made a promise and she held up her side of the deal."

"Well, I admire your responsibility to your honor. You would have made a good wolf." He hefts Gianette in his arms and shifts his weight. Looking down at her face, he continues, "the pack will some day realize what you've done for us and I'll make sure Gianette is the first to appreciate your heroism." He then looks up and gives you a slight smile. "Though I can't guarantee I'll ever convince her to forgive you for running off with a bloodsucker."

"Then she'll have to come find me and confront me about it," you say with a smile.

"Perhaps," he answers. "For now though, good luck."

"You too."

The ride is long, but you eventually arrive at Ell's castle sitting upon a cliffside overlooking the sea. There Ell lavishes you with gifts and honors you as her companion, though it takes you awhile to succumb to her requests and agree to be turned into a vampire.

Together, your status rises amongst vamp society and eventually you take hold of the town from the duke. Once in control, you no longer force the villagers into a life they don't want. Those who wish to take part in the ball may do so, but for the rest, you let them live free and allow them to follow their own heart's desire. It's then that Gianette finds you. Forgiven and embraced, the two of you share your stories and adventures together.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens if you can't make your sister snap out of it...