233

You grip the neck of the water skin. You then focus your thoughts on needing to fight off the drones while reciting the spell. You feel the water bubbling inside the skin, which has begun to grow. By the end of your incantation, you have to brace the swollen bladder beneath your arm to keep it aloft and you must spread your feet to keep your balance against the continued rumbling within the water skin. Uncertain of what to expect, you uncap the skin to see if that will release the pressure boiling within.

The blast that ensues nearly sends you to the floor.

A torrent of water shoots from the skin and you struggle to take control. The sudden spray attracts everyone's attention, causing their feet to still for a moment. You use their surprise to your advantage and you aim the gush of water at the drones, the force knocking them backwards. You then turn your attack on the duke, who is able to maintain his balance, but is unable to do anything other than defend himself against the raging spray.

With the duke distracted, Ell is able to pull a concealed dagger from her boot before ramming it straight into the bigger vampire's heart. The duke only has a moment to hiss his dismay before the curse is broken and his body deteriorates, returning to the state it should have been in if he had never become a vampire centuries before.

Ell, however, doesn't take time to revel in her victory. The moment her blade finds its mark, she turns from the pile of ash and faces the enraged drones. They, however, are inferior against a vampire and Ell makes quick work of them by snapping their necks and stabbing them through the heart.

"Well," she says, jogging over to your side and grabbing your hand, "that was a pretty little spell you managed to pull off. A mage as well as a friend of werewolves, huh?" A sly smile plays across her face as she pulls you along to a back door on the other end of the corridor. "What other little secrets are you hiding?"

"I suppose you'll just have to find out," you reply, curious as to what exactly lies ahead of you now that you are to uphold your end of the bargain and fully accept the consequences of taking Ell's mask.

"Oh, I'm looking forward to it." She ushers you into an awaiting carriage and the two of you dash off into the night, making your way to a distant castle set upon a cliff overlooking the sea.

You later learn that Velt did right that night. He followed through with the plan and coaxed the vampires out into the street where the rest of the pack waited. With Ell's allies long gone after she warned them of trouble, and with the Duke Gagnier dead and unable to lead the battle, the vampires were wiped out by the battle ready werewolves. With the whole of vampire society hurting after the massacre, it's easy for Ell to take claim over the town. She gifts it to you, allowing you to let the people live free. You do, however, keep up the annual ball, except now the townspeople can choose if they want to attend and pursue the immortal life.

You've returned to town since then, to see your friends and check up on the state of things. You've learned that the pack didn't stick around after their victory and instead headed off to places unknown. You don't know what became of your sister, but now that you are a vampire and happily exploring the world beside your beloved Ell, you hope you'll run into her and the pack again. You've got all the time in the world to find her and you're excited about the adventure that awaits you until then.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens if you fail to distract the duke...