102

Blood, you think. The greatest gift to a vampire is blood.

Feeling confident in your decision, you remove the knife from your sleeve and, before you can regret your decision, you plunge the blade into your hand. You clench your teeth together as a cry of pain boils in your throat. Still, you press onwards, drawing the knife across your palm so that a deep gash springs with blood. Your life essence pools in your hand before cascading over the edges like a waterfall.

"Here," you say, breathless but determined. "I offer you my blood as a promise of myself to you."

"There certainly is a tenacity in you that I must say, I've never seen in another human." He mutters as his eyes grow wide with hunger. "I've had feeders, none of which I've taken interest in making a vampire. If I'm going to spend my eternity with another, I want someone to challenge me."

He watches you as you sway in the night breeze, your head light as blood continues to pour from your wound. You aren't sure where this is going, but you try not to show any fear. So you give him a crooked smile that brightens your cloudy eyes.

"Even now," he continues, grabbing your hand and drawing it near to his lips, "when I could so easily hurt you, you are not afraid. This whole night you've acted courageously, recklessly as well, but still there's bravery there."

"Growing up in this town," you reply in something a little louder than a whisper, "you must act as such in order to have a chance at the life we've been promised. Those who cannot think on their toes will not be able to withstand the tumultuous climate of vampire society."

Though he speaks of how simple it would be to kill you, you sense nothing in his posture or voice to indicate he has any intention to do so. In fact, you feel tenderness as his tongue glides over your wound before his lips plant a gentle kiss upon your thumb.

"That certainly is true. So I have one last question to ask you before I escort you down those stairs and into a coach that will take you to your dreams." He looks to you with a smile upon his blood stained lips and you ready yourself for whatever he's about to pose to you. "Tell me, do you treasure your friends lives?"

You were so caught up in proving your loyalty, you forgot that Ferris and the others are still in Ell's custody. Or even worse, they might be in the hands of Duke Gagnier, the vamp who owns and oversees the town. You feel a pull of emotion in the back of your throat, but you won't allow it to pull your eyes away from Ell's unwavering gaze.

"They are my friends. Of course I have no desire to see them hurt. However, this is the decision they've made and they knew there would be consequences." You swallow hard, but you don't let him hear the fear and sadness in your voice.

"Is that so?" He gives a crooked smile before waving at someone over your shoulder. You turn to see a drone walking towards you and you wonder just how long he'd been standing there.

"Allen, get my allies out of the ballroom and then release the rebels." The drone, Allen, bows to Ell and then leaves without a word. Then, Ell draws you close and you turn to find a smile on his pale face. "As you say, vamp society is a cruel world and thanks to your help, I've already made some progress towards granting you that dream life you so desire. You do wish to be a vampire?"

As he asks this question, you notice just how long his fangs are in the moonlight, yet they strike no fear in you.

"Yes," you answer simply, your head drifting in the clouds of a pleasant dream.

In response, he sinks his teeth into your neck, sending a shockwave of pain down your spine, which quickly turns into a warm river of pinpricks that tickle the hairs along your neck and arms. After a minute or two, he pulls away and bites his own wrist, which he offers to your lips.

Without hesitation, you lap up his blood and within minutes you black out.

When you awake, you find yourself in a bed draped in velvet and a room both cavernous and ornate. A breeze blows in from a large open window and you rise up to find the sea lapping at moonlit shores. You raise a hand to your neck and find not a scab or scratch from Ell's bite. Then you look to your palm and don't find even a faint scar where you had sliced it open. Despite knowing what you would find there, you move your hand to your teeth. However, before your trembling fingers can find confirmation of what you know to be true, a knock sounds on a large wooden door.

"May I come in?"

"Of course, Ell," you answer. Though his voice was muffled by the thick oak, you somehow knew without a doubt it was him waiting for you. Just as you know there is a mouse scurrying in a kitchen two floors down and that someone three rooms to the left had just lit a candle fragranced with a stick of cinnamon.

"I thought we could make a toast to your new life now that you are awake." He walks in carrying a golden tray with two crystal glasses filled with a thick liquid. He hands you a glass and takes one for himself before laying the tray down and joining your gaze out towards the sea.

"To your life eternal," he toasts.

"To life eternal." You share a smile with him and clink your glasses before drinking down the rich and invigorating cup of blood.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens when you fail to convince Ell...