86

You pull the statue out of your pocket, your thumb running over the fine details of the human and vampire caught in a lovers' embrace.

"I don't want this life," you say, your eyes focused upon the happily entwined figures. "I'm done with living like cattle. My dream is this." You raise up the statue and step past your protective ward in order to hand it to them. "If you are going to mark me as a rebel and abandon me here with them, then kill me now and end my suffering. I want to be with you, I want to live by your side. I protected the coven because I knew I would have you out of their grasps before they managed to light this hall in flames. What do I care about the wellbeing of other vampires? It's you I want. Let them burn."

They stand there looking at you as a single hand rises up to brush their thumb along the bottom of their lip. They glance down to the statue in their other hand, before focusing on you again, their piercing gaze studying something lying just beneath your skin.

"You know, perhaps it is best to just let them go and do as they please." They give you a toothy smile and your heart jumps. "I've been to these sorts of balls many times now, but never have I seen this type of cunning and passion before. I guess they breed them differently here. I see no reason to extinguish that flame tonight."

"Thank you, Ell."

"No need to thank me. I think, in the end, your friends will be doing me a great service." They wave to a drone that had apparently been standing by the door the whole time. Quickly and silently, the drone glides over and stands beside his master. "Allen, get all my allies out of here and then I want you to free the rebels." They then, look to you and continue, "As I said before, I don't think I'll be returning to this town, so I don't much care what happens to it and that includes it becoming its own free state. You'll learn very quickly that your dream of life eternal comes with its own problems. Time and disease may not get you, but a stake through the back will."

"I see," you mumble, digesting their words.

"However," they continue, ignoring your unease, "you shouldn't worry yourself about it. Thanks to your friends, we'll be narrowing down the field of rivals tonight and we can enjoy our time together in peace. And so will your friends should they succeed."

A wave of relief washes over you and you return Ell's smile as they reach their hand out for yours. You take it and the two of you walk down the steps and off to their awaiting coach.

You learn not long after that, that Ferris' rebellion succeeded. A whole slew of vampire elites were killed that night, including the owner and overseer of the town, Duke Gagnier. From what you understand, the town has rebuilt itself as a free and autonomous city. However, you don't pay it much attention. You are too busy accompanying Ell around the world, learning the ways of the vampire society and making alliances that will promise you and Ell a safe future. A future that you will share eternally now that Ell has fulfilled the promise made to you at your birth. That one day you will embrace the night and that it will embrace you in return.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens when you fail to convince Ell...