5

"I'm sorry Ferris, it's just nerves. I had thought I'd be at the ball tonight dancing with a vamp. I just haven't caught up with the change in plans." You take a deep breath and look at everyone. You show them a determined smile and you notice many shoulders drop the weight of worry from upon them. Then, you look back at Ferris. "Really, I'm with you. I've seen the pain this life has caused you, Kinley, and my sister. I won't be forced into it, not after all the hurt it has brought to those I care about."

Ferris takes a few deep breaths while you talk, relief surging through him with a shudder. "Good," he says before dropping his voice so only you can hear it. "I try my best to be strong for them, but like with everyone else, I've never taken on a horde of vampires before. I need your support."

You place a hand on his shoulder and look him square in the eye. "You have it."

With that, Ferris straightens up and pulls something out from his robe. "This is for you. It marks you as one of the coven." He holds up a necklace made of twine with a pendant of carved wood dangling from it. "Welcome sister." He places it over your neck before turning back to the others. "Let's move."

You don't have time to admire the delicate patterns in the wood. You join Ferris at the front of the group and the two of you head straight into the tight tunnel.

Every now and again you fear you won't even make it to the hall to die by the vampires' hands since you might just get stuck forever in the cramped tunnel. The coven, however, did a good job with their digging. You are able to stand the whole way, though with a slight hunch, and some sidestepping gets you through the tight spaces. You eventually reach a small chamber that allows the coven to gather just outside of the ash pit. Ferris leaves you there, but returns only a minute later.

"There's someone in the lounge," he hisses in a whisper just barely capable of reaching your ears.

"Is it a vamp or human?" asks one of the coven.

"Human," Ferris replies before turning to you. "It's Ailisa."

"Doesn't matter who it is," snapped another of the coven. "Let's take care of her and get on with the ritual before she rats us out." With that a few members pull out rather ominous items, including a blade, a nail, and a matchstick, but you throw your hands out to stop them before they are able to do whatever it is they hoped to conjure using those items.

"Wait, wait, you attack her and you alert the vamps anyway. Let me talk to her. She's my friend. I can get her away without any warnings being made."

Those that had pulled out weapons look to Ferris for an answer. The head mage, in turn, glances over at you for a moment of consideration before speaking.

"Go, Micah. Be quick."

You don't need him to tell you twice.

"Ailisa," you call from the ash pit as the others hang back out of sight. "Ailisa."

"Micah?" Ailisa, who had been sitting with her back to the fireplace, her eyes trained on the closed lounge door, rises up and looks around the room. "Where are you?"

"In the fireplace."

"In the what?" She turns at your answer and gazes at the fireplace with confusion marring her perfectly made up face. Then, she spots you peeking through the grate and her cheeks blush with surprise. "Micah, what are you doing?"

"I'm late."

"So, be late at the front entrance." Ailisa runs over and squats down, careful not to get her blood red dress tarnished in the ashes.