43

You didn't come to this party to snag a vampire, you came to get Ailisa out of there so that she doesn't get caught up in the aftermath of Ferris's spell – a spell that you would make sure succeeded. You may have doubted your ability within the coven, but now that you've been outed as a mage, you feel a new strength pulsing through your veins. One way or another, a vampire knows something is amiss and if Ell hints to anyone about what might happen, Ferris's plan could be ruined. You won't be the reason he fails. So, you need to make sure all the vampires remain in the hall.

"Death to vampires," you whisper.

"Pardon?" asks Ell, her brow pinching as she bends her head down to hear you over the music. "What did you say?"

You take a deep breath, calming the nerves sizzling across your skin. "Death to vampires!" you shout, pushing her away and turning for the front door. Before you can even take your next breath, you are dashing forward and bolting for the exit.

Despite her naturally quick reflexes, you've stunned Ell enough to avoid a bloody end right there on the dance floor. However, a vampire is still a vampire and will always be superior when it comes to speed. She manages to sink her claws into you just as you pull out of her reach. You avoid her grip, but she still snags your clothes and slices into your skin.

The cuts burn like fire, but you push through the pain and keep your objective at the forefront of your thoughts. You need to get to the entrance before they do, so you can seal off their escape.

"Capture that human!" cries out Ell. "That's a mage's robe! A coven must be nearby. We need to leave now!"

You make it to the door, just as Ell's warning silences the band and fills the hall with a rumble of hissing curses. As you turn on your heel, you see the town's "farmer" step out in front of the crowd. Duke Gagnier owns the town and manages the stock of humans to be made into feeders. As such, he ranks high above all the vampires in the room and in vamp society, hierarchy is everything. Should he listen to Ell's claims and dispatch the entire room of vamps upon you, you will be slaughtered in seconds. You know your time is short and you need to figure out how to keep them from leaving before they drain you dry. As a human, you're no match against them, but as a mage, you have a chance. You will need to use a spell, which means you need to find an item to channel the magic. Your options are limited, you only have whatever is on you, which is the silver pin you bought with Ailisa, the cord of rope around your waist, and the golden horse figurine in your pocket.

"Do as she says," growls the duke, casting a contemptuous glance at Ell. "Kill the human and get to the street now!"

With his command given, everyone springs intoaction, their feet quick and their fangs bared. However, you've already started your spell and in your hand is...

- Silver Pin: ch 58

- Rope: ch 59

- Horse Figurine: ch 60

*** Please note this story is in progress and options may or may not be available at this time. ***