101

Love, you think. How can I confess love to someone I've only known for an hour?

You aren't sure about your decision, but it's the best you have. Withdrawing the statue out of your pocket, you take a deep breath and present your offering.

"What I want is this," you say as your fingers trace the valleys formed by the couple's entwinement. "I want to be with you. Not them. Like this statue, you are flawless and I wish only to join you in your perfect embrace."

For a moment, Ell doesn't move. Instead, he watches you with half-lidded eyes and a flat line of his lips. After a moment, though, he raises his hand up to massage his brow.

"Well," he says with a sigh, "you are, at least, amusing and I do admire your efforts." He turns from you and looks back out at the woods. "I will not kill your friends, but they did what they did and there are consequences for that."

"I know," you say, though your heart breaks as you say it.

"They will be made part of the herd, it's not a terrible result considering. Many will be granted life eternal as a drone, that's quite an admirable existence."

"I know." For you perhaps, to become a drone is a worthy way to end a long career serving the town, but you know in your heart that to Ferris it will be a nightmare that never ends.

"Some, however, will probably not be granted that luxury. I imagine the ringleader will be killed before the night is over."

"I see." At this you do feel your heart lighten slightly. Ferris will proudly stand up for his coven and he will be granted death. The vamps may not realize it, but this will be a great mercy to him.

"As for you," now he turns and your heart tightens as if Ell had reached out and clenched it in his fist, "I hope you'll still consider accompanying me from the ball. I find that I've had enough for one night and I think a brisk ride through the country would be a welcome end to all this."

You look at his face and you see pain there. Perhaps sympathy for what your own heart is going through. Ferris didn't understand that the vamps aren't monsters. They had been just like you and Ferris at some point too.

"Yes, I would like that." With your words, Ell presents you with a genuine smile before reaching out for your hand. You take his and then descend the steps towards his awaiting coach. You know the next morning will only bring word of Ferris and the others' fate, but for now you will enjoy the night and say goodbye to your childhood. Ferris chose how to end his life and you've chosen yours. His will be sleep eternal, while yours will be everlasting darkness.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and find a better way to convince Ell?