21

"Go on ahead Ailisa, I need to run to the restroom first." You steal a glance down the hall to where Ferris and the others are casting the ritual that could kill Kinley, before returning your gaze to Ailisa who is looking just as anxiously at the packed ballroom.

"Of course, Micah, but don't take too long." She casts another glance into the party. "There's already so many masks in there," she says with a whine.

Before you can wish her well, she dashes into the ballroom, leaving you alone in the hallway. Without hesitation you sprint down the hall towards Kinley, desperate to get to her before Ferris finishes his spell. Thankfully, she is taking her time examining the corridor and you catch up quickly. You reach out for her, about to call her name, but the drones flanking her react in an instant.

A swift strike sends you careening into a wall, slamming you against it with enough force to knock the wind out of you right out of you. Despite the pain throbbing from the back of your rib cage, you are thrilled with the outcome, since the sudden ruckus has caused Kinley to stop.

"What?" she asks, turning to her drones before she lays eyes on you. "Micah!" She claps her hands to her mouth and runs over to help you up.

"No, no," you gasp from your seated position, shooing her hands away as your lungs continue to fight for air. "Don't worry about me. You need to go. Now!" It hurts to talk, but you manage to convey every bit of urgency you can muster in your voice. Surprisingly, Kinley doesn't seem that shocked at your sudden command and a look of understanding darkens her yellow eyes. Despite this, however, she makes no move to leave.

"I can't get away that fast," she replies, her voice firm but soft. A sadness clouds her youthful, flawless face, which has been made all the more immaculate since her vampiric conversion. She sighs and continues. "There's no exits this way. What is he up to?"

You know the he she's referring to must be Ferris, but you don't have time to confirm that. Clarity on her relationship with the archmage could be made after you ensure she survives. "Doesn't matter, you have to run."

"Where?" asks Kinley again, gesturing to the dark hallway.

You groan and then indicate you need for assistance with rising to your feet. Kinley's drones, who are now aware of your friendship with their mistress, come to your aid and pull you up.

If Kinley is right and there is no exit nearby for her to flee to, then it's up to you to protect her. Unfortunately, you don't have a jack-o-lantern on hand to cast an easy ward. But a ward is what you need, and you know the proper way to cast it. What you don't have is an item to channel the spell through. You glance around the empty hallway for inspiration, but nothing comes to you. You do, however, have a few things on hand. There's the silver pin you bought earlier that day at Gretchen's shop, the cord of rope you have tied around your waist, and the fancy handkerchief Ailisa lent you. You aren't sure which will do a proper job, but you don't have time to weigh their merits. You have to cast something to protect Kinley and you have to cast it now.

What will you use?

- Silver Pin: ch 26

- Rope: ch 27

- Handkerchief: ch 28