183

You pull out the spiked knuckles and draw back your fist as the vamp launches herself out of the crates. You land a solid blow against her cheek, tearing the skin. She screeches with pain, her mouth ripped at the corner and one of her fangs chipped. She stumbles backwards, giving you a chance to roll off the platform and fall onto the cobblestone street. With what energy you have left, you claw your way across the road, dragging yourself beneath the cart in some vain hope that it will protect you from any further retaliation from the vampire.

You scoot to the center of the cart and do your best to pull in your arms and legs in the tight space afforded between the street and the bed of the wagon.

Above you the wooden platform bounces against your back and the vampire's footsteps pound against your ear. After a few minutes of jostling, the cart becomes still and silent. You hold your breath, uncertain where the vamp went. You look around, finding the same fur paws and booted feet that have been dancing around you since you crawled beneath the cart. All of them are distant and distracted. You consider breathing again when a face swings down to confront you.

Cold and taut with anger, the vampires jaw is spread wide—a truly frightening sight after you tore one of her cheeks off. An arm snaps out to grab your wrist, but just misses as you scuttle your way backwards. A grim smirk tweaks her lips and she slithers beneath the cart, her movements jerky and quick. You keep backing out but in the cramped space, it's harder to move in that direction than it is forward. She reaches out again, her nails grazing your skin. You then feel a sharp stabbing pain against your calf and a rough jolt that collides your chin with the cobblestone. Your face scrapes across the ground as you are dragged out from beneath the cart and just out of reach of the vampire.

At least out of reach of that vampire. You suspect another vamp had caught sight of your foot dangling beneath the cart and pegged you as an easy mark. However, when you are free from the underside of the wagon and brought out into the bright light of the full moon, you find the teeth digging into your leg to be far bigger than any vampires.

A blonde wolf releases her hold of you and leaps forward to snatch the unsuspecting vamp that's decided to chase after you from underneath the cart. With a snap of her jaw and a forceful tug, the vampire's head pops off her body and is spat out against the nearby brick wall. Blood trickles over Gianette's lips as she takes a stance over your shaking body. She growls and bites at anyone who dares approach you. Hot needles glide up and down your leg as blood pours from your calf, losing what little bit you had left after the recently deceased vampire sucked you near dry. You get lost in the swirls of golden fur on Gianette's belly and eventually you fade into a serene darkness.

Then, you feel your pulse quicken. You suspect death is drawing near, but with the rapid beat of your heart comes a rejuvenating warmth that bolsters you against the cold and strengthens your tired muscles. Color returns to your world and you find the night sky now looking down at you instead of Gianette's protective body. When you rise to your feet, you realize she couldn't have continued standing over you if she wanted to. You've gained some height and muscle now that Gianette's venom has infected your blood and transformed you into a werewolf.

You take one second to give thanks for the healing powers of werewolf blood before putting all your selfish thoughts aside and melding into the flow of the pack. Without thinking or questioning, you know where to attack and when. You know who to trust as a powerhouse brawler and who to count on to sneak in with quick, stealthy attacks. With another body added to the pack, you overtake the vampires with ease and you gleefully howl to the night once your victory is sealed.

"You did well," says a voice you recognize as Colin's though you know it is issued by the large, dark-haired wolf in a series of barks and yips. "There must be something in the Dupree bloodline that makes good werewolves."

You respond with a low bow, knowing by instinct that you should present your subordination to your alpha.

"Rise up young wolf," he replies. "You have earned your place in this pack."

With that the wolves give another hardy howl and Gianette nudges you with her nose, smiling a wolfy grin full of pride.

You remain with Gianette and the pack, forging unbreakable bonds, as if all the wolves were your own flesh and blood. You forget what life was like before you were brought into the pack. However, that doesn't mean you've lost a sense of your home. Though you roam free with the wolves, you keep your pack in the forests surrounding town, serving as its protectors and defending it against any vamps foolish enough to try and turn it into a farm again.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story! Why not go back and see what happens when you don't choose the right weapon...