159

You look to the crystal cup clutched in your hand before holding it out before the drones. You twist your wrist ever so slightly so the light glints and sparkles off the elegant tableware.

"Look," you say with a forced smile, "glittery."

This, however, only seems to make the drones angrier and soon both you and Ailisa are swarmed.

You are unable to move, unable to fight back. Within minutes you are both completely subdued and any chance of escape is gone. For the remainder of the night you remain in the uncomfortable grip of a few drones while the others watch the door for anyone else that attempts to escape. Every now and then you hear a cry from out in the ballroom, but otherwise everything is eerily quiet.

That is until just before daybreak.

"Alright, all of you, off to the..." Ell stops mid sentence once his eyes land on you and Ailisa caught in the grip of his drones. You start to plead, but a drone slaps a hand over your mouth and the look in Ell's eyes tells you enough to know it wouldn't have worked anyway.

"To the carriages," he finishes, taking his eyes off you. "Bring those two to mine." With that he leaves and the drones move with alarming speed as they rush in their race against the sun which will scorch and kill their master.

Not long before the sun draws up, Ell, Ailisa, and yourself are locked away in a pitch black carriage. You fidget, uncertain what to do or say, but Ailisa remains stark still, her fear vibrating off of her and sending shivers down your spine.

"Ell, I..." You don't get to finish. He lunges for your throat and drains you to a drop of blood — just enough to keep you on the verge of death so that you become one of his drones. Soon after, he does the same to Ailisa, who doesn't put up a fight.

You now have to watch your dream of immortality through glassy eyes, sitting in the back of your mind, unable to affect anything that your body does. It's not nearly as proud of an existence as the town led you to believe, but at least you and Ailisa get to spend eternity as mindless drones together.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and try something else to distract the drones?