Twenty-six

The rest of the class, we sat silently listening to Miss Maddox ranting about the ingredients and recipes. "Your task next week is to prepare a creative dish. It'll weigh thirty percent of your total marks and for that, you have to submit me the recipe in the next class."

I raised my hand, Miss Mad glimpsed at me but ignored me and continued speaking. I leaned over my desk and waved my hands furiously in front of her. She sighed, finally giving up, and gestured for me to speak.

"What do you exactly mean by creative?"

"From creative, I mean by something different, not the common and easy recipe of Cheez-its." My eyes grew big as she gave me a look, I side glanced at Noah, who also gaped at her. "Either you can come with your own recipe-" she rolled her eyes "- that is if you're even capable of doing or you can make something from traditional recipes that are not used anymore with your twist." With that, she dismissed the class.

Everyone groaned, including me. "She knows about the Cheez-its." I grabbed my stuff and turned toward Noah. "I thought she never paid attention to anyone."

"Yeah, I was shocked too." He answered, packing his stuff. We got up and exit our class.

"Are you free after school today?" Noah frowned and looked at me curiously. "We can go to my house after school because I have so many books of different and-" I quoted with my fingers. "- 'creative' old recipes. We can search in it for our practical." I blinked my eyes at him, hopeful that he'll say yes.

"Sure." He gave me his radiant smile, which I returned.

"Miss Maddox will not make it an easy 'A' this time." I looked at Noah sternly.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "We have to work hard then."

"Exactly, the final practical is next week so we'll get the recipe today and then we'll practice it on the weekend," I suggested following Noah.

"That's a good idea, I guess." He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. "Shrugging will not work this time, Noah. We have to work hard and as a team." He stopped in his steps, and I turned around to face him.

"As you wish, Miss Wolf." He teased. "Aren't you taking this too seriously?"

I gasped. "This is serious! Didn't you see the look Miss Mad gave me? This. Is. War." He laughed, making fun of me. I crossed my arms, glaring at him. "Whatever." I waved my hand, dismissing him. "Why are you even following me? Go to your locker." I shooed him.

He raised his brows at me amused, then leaned in and whispered. "You're the one following me, Lexi." He darted his eyes behind me.

I whirled on my heels and realized it was his locker, which was in the opposite direction of mine. Squeezing my eyes tightly, I cursed. I didn't even realize it before when I was following him aimlessly.

"I-I..." I trailed off, then my eyes caught Emily, who was busy putting books in her locker. "I'm here for Emily!" I exclaimed, trying to get myself out of embarrassment.

I turned my head back to Noah, who gave me a smirk. "Really?"

"Y-yes." Feeling my cheeks getting heated up, I cleared my throat. "Why would I follow you?" I let out a laugh, which came out a little too high-pitched. "Bye. See you after school." I mumbled, sprinting away from him.

Why did I have to embarrass myself like that?!

"Hi, Em." I greeted, leaning my back to the locker beside her.

Her brows knitted in confusion as she stared at me. "What are you doing here?"

"I- I'm here for you, obviously." I cackled, tucking my hair behind my ear.