Chapter XLIV

Character Information:
(Y/N): Your Name
(L/N): Last Name
(H/C): Hair Color
(E/C): Eye Color
(F/C): Favorite Color

On the roof of a building in Konoha, Jiraiya was looking through a telescope, spying on women taking baths.

Jiraiya: Oh, yes, that's it, that's it. <chuckles> Oh baby, I'm telling you. You've gotta love the Leaf Village. The girls here are off the charts.

Just then, Homura and Koharu walked up behind Jiraiya.

Homura: You're still playing the buffoon, I see.

Jiraiya: Uhh... Just doing a little research. So, old man Homura, and Koharu-sensei. What could you two scholarly advisors want with me?

Homura: Don't waste our time. You know perfectly well what this is all about.

Jiraiya: <turns around and stands up> Come on, why the long faces, guys? From what I hear, talks with the Sand Village went off without a hitch.

Homura: The Sand Village has stated publicly that Orochimaru was responsible for all of this. At any rate, they've offered their complete surrender to the Leaf Village. So at the moment, their betrayal is a moot point.

Koharu: For now we have no choice but to accept their surrender in order to shore up our power in the region.

Homura: That's correct. However, the strength of the Leaf Village has just suffered an enormous blow. As things now stand, our top priority is preparing for the onslaught we believe will come.

Koharu: We have no way of knowing when one of the surrounding nations might try to make a play. Plus we have that mysterious threat of those bat creatures and that woman seen with them. Therefore, until the village has regained its strength, we've decided to gather the top Shinobi from each squad and assemble an emergency executive comittee to handle the situation. But first... We need a strong and trustworthy leader. It is more than just Orochimaru. It is the seed of a far greater struggle.

Jiraiya: Look, guys. I don't know why you're going to the trouble of explaining all this to me. But if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to work.

Homura: I think you'll be interested in what our plans are. This village needs the Fifth Hokage immediately.

Koharu: And yesterday, at an emergency meeting with the Lord of the Land of Fire, it was decided. We chose you, Jiraiya.

Jiraiya: Oh, I don't know. It's not really up my alley.

Homura: It has been decided. Besides, if one of the renowned Sannin is not suited, then who else is there but... him?

Jiraiya perked up and turned to look at the two elders.

Jiraiya: No, you cannot be serious. You're seriously thinking about making him Hokage?

Koharu: <nodding> He already came to us wishing to become Hokage. If you are not up to the task, then he will become the Fifth Hokage. Although we and the Lord of the Land of Fire would much prefer a Sannin.

Jiraiya: Well, there is another Sannin.

Homura/Koharu: Huh?

Jiraiya: You're forgetting Tsunade.

The two elders looked at each other.

Homura: There's little doubt that the child has the capability. But it hardly matters. No one even knows where she is.