Chapter LXIX

Character Information:
(Y/N): Your Name
(L/N): Last Name
(E/C): Eye Color
(F/C): Favorite Color

The group hurried through the forest. They hopped and jumped off trees to move faster.

As they moved forward, Akamaru whined.

Kiba: (Y/N)!

(Y/N): What's wrong with Akamaru?

Kiba: He smells blood. Somewhere nearby.

(Y/N): Do you know what happened?

Kiba: <sniffing> Yeah. The scent of two newcomers converged on the scent of Sasuke and four others. But the two have stayed behind, while Sasuke's group has moved on. So what now?

Shikamaru: Just as I thought. Sasuke has an escort. <thinking> This is turning out to be such a drag.

(Y/N) grit his teeth.

(Y/N): We all knew this wasn't going to be easy. These must be Orochimaru's men.

Naruto: There's no question. We've got to go after Sasuke!

Kiba: Who died and made you boss? Last time I checked, (Y/N) was in charge of running the show. It's up to him to decide.

(Y/N): We're still going after Sasuke, but let's stop at the location of the battle. We might be able to find something useful there.

Shikamaru: Of course we can't just rush in. There might be a trap. When we get closer we'll go into full reconnaissance mode and approach slowly. Is that good, (Y/N)?

(Y/N): Yeah, sure.

Neji: And while that's going on, Sasuke will cross over the Land of Fire border!

(Y/N): Hm. Shit.

Naruto: Well, (Y/N), what's it gonna be?

(Y/N): Let's just pursue Sasuke! Neji's right, we don't have time to make stops.

Shikamaru: One thing. The fact that there was a battle means they'll have their guard up. Unless they're complete idiots, they'll have to know there's gonna be more ninja on their trail. In other words, the odds are high that there will be traps or an ambush.

(Y/N): <smirking> This is why you're second in command, Shikamaru. Okay, I want you all to use your visual and acoustic senses to the fullest! We need to locate those guys before we get caught in a trap or ambush!

Naruto: All right! And when we find them, I'm gonna clobber them with this brand new jutsu of mine!

The group continued on, and found a trap waiting for them: a tripwire. Naruto almost walked on it, but Shikamaru caught him with his Shadow Possession Jutsu. After avoiding the trap, Neji used his Byakugan to scan the surroundings.

Neji: <gasps> I see them!

(Y/N): You see Sasuke's group? Good.

Naruto: All right! I'm dying to show these clowns what I've got!

Kiba: Is that right? Hate to disappoint you, Hot Shot, but I've got a new jutsu I've been working on too!

Choji: Yeah, me too!

(Y/N): Before we do anything rash, Shikamaru, I want you to make a plan that we can use against these bastards.

The group huddled together as Shikamaru explained his plan.