Chapter XVII

Character Information:
(Y/N): Your Name
(L/N): Last Name
(H/C): Hair Color
(E/C): Eye Color
(F/C): Favorite Color

In a room, the Third Hokage was seated in front of a group of ninjas. They were talking about the Chūnin Exams.

Hokage: All right, it is time we chose our candidates for the Chūnin examinations. To begin, will those in charge of the rookie Genin step forward?

Kakashi and two other ninjas stepped forward.

Hokage: Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma. What do you say? Are there any in your squads you'd recommend who are ready for the exams despite their inexperience? Kakashi, you begin.

Kakashi: I lead Squad 7, Sasuke Uchiha, Naruto Uzumaki, (Y/N) (L/N), Sakura Haruno.

A few of the ninjas behind him muttered.

Ninja 1: <whispering> Oh, yeah. He's the one in charge of that special five-man squad.

Ninja 2: <whispering> Isn't that many people on a squad considered dangerous?

Ninja 3: <whispering> But (Y/N) (L/N) is on that squad. I heard that he's pretty good. But I don't think the Hokage directly assigned him to Squad 7.

The Hokage looked up.

Hokage: Well, (Y/N) (L/N) is a special case. It seems he already knew the basic techniques of a shinobi before he even entered the Academy. I knew that no matter what squad he was placed in, he would improve. That is why I deliberately took his name off of the list and let him pick which squad he wanted to join. <quietly> Also, there was an odd number of students...

Iruka perked up when he heard this.

Iruka: So that's why (Y/N)'s name wasn't on the list of squads. Wait, you let him pick? Isn't that not fair to the other students?

Hokage: (Y/N) already had a clear advantage over the other students. He is more mature than you would think. I knew he could handle it.

Kakashi looked around.

Kakashi: So, um, can I finish?

Hokage: Oh, yes. I apologize, Kakashi. Please continue.

Kakashi: Right. Anyway, I, Kakashi Hatake, recommend all four of these Genin for the Chūnin selection exams.

Iruka gasped.

Kurenai: And my squad is number 8. Hinata Hyūga, Kiba Inuzuka, Shino Aburame. And now I, Kurenai Yuhi, recommend all three.

Asuma: And my squad is number 10. Ino Yamanaka, Shikamaru Nara, Chōji Akimichi. And now I, Asuma Sarutobi, recommend all three.

Ninja 1: <surprised> Rookies?

The ninja in the room began to mutter again.

Iruka: Hold on just a minute!

Hokage: Yes. What is it, Iruka?

Iruka: Lord Hokage, with all respect, the ten names that were just given were all my students at the Academy. I know their skills and abilities. The only one I would recommend try is (Y/N) (L/N). Every one else has great promise, but it's too soon. They need more experience before they are tested. If they try now, they're sure to fail the exam.

Kakashi: When I became a Chūnin, I was six years younger than Naruto is now.

Iruka: Naruto is nothing like you!