Where It All Started

"You're definitely gonna win." You tell your best friend right before his category was to be announced. He laughs in his spot beside you, shaking his head, his still short brown hair flopping about from it's pushed back state. You were still getting used to his long curls being gone, even though it had been well over a year and a half since he cut them off and donated them to a charity.

"I'm up against good talent, I'll be alright to lose." He answers you. "You've already won so you get to be confident now." He reminds you of the win you had gotten two categories before.

"And you told me I was going to win. You were right, so I am right as well. There's no one more deserving than you. You were amazing in that movie, you have to win." You assure him. He was up for Best Breakout Actor for his role in Dunkirk and you were almost absolutely positive that he would win. "You were brilliant, Harry." You reach over, patting his leg in assurance. He said he would be alright with a lose but you knew he was actually nervous and anxious for a win. You knew him well enough to see through that carefree mask of his.

"We'll see." Just then, the nominees were beginning to be announced. When Harry was mentioned, the screens showed him, and you as well. You smiled and clapped for him as he gave a sheepish smile, raising one ringed hand in a small wave and a curt nod.

"And the winner is...." Dramatic pause from the presenter. "Harry Styles in Dunkirk!" You jump up as everyone begins to clap and cheer and music began to play. Harry stands as well and pulls you into a tight hug.

"I knew you did it. Congrats, Harry!" You say in his ear, pulling back to smile at him. He smiles back and leans down to press a kiss to your cheek.

"Thanks, love." He then moves past you and up the isle, towards the stage. When he gets in front of the mic and holds the award in his hand, he clears his throat as the music stops, allowing him to give his speech. "I've given plenty of speeches at award shows but I always had my mates up here with me so this is a bit odd to be up here alone." The crowd laugh. "There is so many people I'd like to thank but I'll keep it short and simple." He begins. He looked even more nervous now than he did before his name was announced.

"This is for Y/N, who has been beside me for a very long time and has never once not believed in me. I probably wouldn't have gotten through the filming of this movie if it wasn't for her. She believed in me when no one else did, not even myself. She has taught me so much about acting and I can always count on her and I just want to say that I love you, Y/N. And not as a friend, or a best friend, I am in love with you and I'm grateful that you are here with me tonight. Thanks, everyone." He gives a small bow before he turns and follows the presenter off stage as the stage goes dark and music begins.

Everyone around you was chattering, talking about that speech but you stood there in shock, unsure of what to say. Harry had just said he loved you, that he was in love with you. You didn't have long to process this before Harry was coming back to sit beside you once more. But before he could sit, you grab the collar of his jacket and pull his lips to yours.

"I take it that you feel the same then?" He pulls away to ask. You knew there was a camera on your right now and that a hundred eyes were on you but you didn't care as you allow Harry to pull you close against him. His hand brushes across your exposed back through the cut out of your elegant dress.

"I didn't realize it until that moment, but yes." You tell him, knowing it was the truth. You loved Harry, you wanted to be by his side always.

"Good." He gives a smile before kissing you once more. Once the show started again, having come back from commercial, the two of you took your seats, still ignoring the looks you were getting from everyone around you. You lean close to Harry, linking your arm through his. He rests his hand on your thigh, both of you smiling.

This was not how you pictured tonight going. You were hoping just to walk out of here with your win, Harry with his, and celebrate with some drinks at the after party before passing out at Harry's while watching movies. That was your tradition for after award shows. Now, you would be falling asleep at Harry's house as his girlfriend and nothing felt more perfect than that.