That Night

"Y/N's coming tonight."

Harry choked on the sip of scotch he just took. Gemma quickly patted his back, waiting for him to recover. He looked at his sister with wide eyes, "Sorry?"

Gemma shrugged her shoulders, "I ran into her at the bakery last week. We caught up and I invited her tonight."

Harry tried to gain his breath back. He was panicking. Would you want to see him? Clearly you knew he was going to be here; it was his sister's birthday? Is that why you decided to come? Will this be his chance to apologize for that night? So many thoughts ran through his mind. Gemma stared at her brother, eyebrows raised. She knew the potential outcome when she invited you but before the breakup, the two of you were extremely close. You were almost like a sister to her, a sister she's always wanted. That's why she was devastated when Harry told her that he broke up with her.

Gemma's eyes drifted to the new body that entered through the doors. You looked around, eyes searching for Gemma. Once you finally saw her, you smiled brightly. Gemma returned the smile and walked away from Harry. You gave her a quick hug and handed her a gift you brought. Showing empty handed would just be rude.

Harry's back was to you but he knew you were in the room. He felt a sudden chill. Was it because you walked in or was it because his guilt was creeping up on him? He took a deep breath and proceeded to wipe his sweaty palms on his pants. He quickly chugged down the rest of his scotch before he started to make his way to you and Gemma.

While talking to Gemma, you instantly noticed Harry. Your eyes met and you held back a gasp. Those damn green eyes. Gemma looked between the both of you and announced, "I'm going to put this with the rest. Promise we'll catch up?" You smiled and nodded your head. Gemma gave both you and Harry a look as if saying, "Good luck."

Harry cleared his throat, "Y/N."

You smiled softly and nodded your head curtly, "Harry. How are you?"

Harry's arms twitched. He wasn't sure if he should give you a hug hello, afraid it would be too awkward. But his mind told him otherwise and he pulled you into a tight embrace.

Slightly surprised, you hugged him back. You chuckled, "Easy there, tiger."

Harry pulled back from the hug and blushed. "I'm sorry. I just can't believe you're here. You look amazing, love."

Your heart swelled at the pet name. It was so long ago that he used to call you that. Your cheeks turned slightly pink. You quietly thanked him.

A moment of silence was shared between the two of you before Harry spoke up, "Drink?"

You quickly nodded. Needing some alcohol to ease the tension of running into your ex. Harry led you to the bar, his hand on your lower back. Even though the two of you broke up months ago, it was like Harry's body knew to always look out for you. It was like you were his magnet. He grabbed the bartender's attention and ordered two glasses of white wine. Harry cursed, "I'm sorry. I didn't even think. Your case must've changed. Would you like something else?"

Your stomach was in butterflies knowing Harry remembered your usual drink order. "It's fine, thank you."

The bartender came back, placing a glass in front of both of you. Harry was going to say something but was interrupted by a song that had a loud base going through the club.

Harry shouted so you could hear him, "Want to go somewhere private?"

Harry led the two of you towards the roof of the club. He's been here a couple of times so he knew the club like it was on the back of his hand. While leading the two of you there, the two of you started catching up. You finally finished uni and was just waiting for feedback on a job interview you've done. Harry told you that he recently went to Jamaica in hopes of getting some peace and quiet to write some songs for his album he was excited to release.

The two of you were sat next to each other on the floor of the roof. London's city light in front of you.

While you were admiring the view, Harry was staring at you, "I'm sorry about that night."

You looked back at him, not wanting him to bring up the painful topic, "Let's not talk about it, Harry."

"No, love. I need to say what's been on my mind for the past couple of months."

Harry was in love with you. After seven months of dating, he realized he was crazy about you. And that scared him. Harry was never the one to be in a serious relationship. He had his flings, of course, but that's all they were: Flings. You were his first real relationship. And when Harry realized how different you were from other girls and how much emotion he felt for you, he started to push you away.

You realized you loved him during the sixth month the two of you were dating. You never told him however because you didn't want to jeopardize your already fairly new relationship. Your heart broke a little each time you tried getting closer to Harry. It brought out your insecurities of not being enough for Harry. The two of you constantly fought. Comments were made just to hurt the other. Yelling, screaming, you were surprised no one ever called the cops to complain about how loud the two of you were.

Sitting on Harry's couch, you were recovering from your latest scream session. Harry sat opposite from your couch doing the same. Harry was the one to break the silence, "I'm not happy anymore."

Your head instantly shot up and looked at him. If your heart wasn't already broken, it sure was now. That was the last thing you could ever want; Harry not being happy with you. In your eyes, Harry deserved the whole world.

Harry avoided any eye contact with you, afraid he was going to let out a tear. "We're constantly fighting. If not fighting, giving the other the silent treatment. I don't want to have to come home every night knowing that I'm just coming home to fight."

You choked back a sob while he proceeded, "Clearly this relationship isn't working. What's the point of continuing?" He finally looked up at you, his heart clenching at the sight of you with tears running down your face. His words were harsh, he knew that but there was only so much someone could take.

You nodded and stood to grab your purse and coat. Through your tear-blurred vision you saw Harry looking down, playing with his rings. You whispered, "I'm sorry I wasted your time."

Harry traced the rim of his glass. He sighed and closed his eyes, "I should have fought for you to stay."

You were looking down at your glass, avoiding eye contact with him. Softly you said, "Like you said, there was no point continuing if we couldn't make each other happy."

Harry winced, his own words haunting him. Finally he looked at you and grabbed your hand. "You did make me happy, Y/N. Our relationship was short but it was the best time of my life."

You shook your head slowly in confusion. "You don't leave someone that makes you happy."

Knowing it's now or never, Harry took a deep breath. He stared into your eyes and admitted, "I love you, Y/N."

Your heart should've bursted at that moment but instead you felt sadness. You pulled your hand away from Harry's. "You don't. Because if you did, you would've never said the things you said."

Harry nodded, knowing he was out of his mind for that night. "I was so scared of our relationship. It was so fast and my feelings for you came so sudden, I was just scared so I pushed you away. I know that was wrong and I've never regretted something as much as I do for that night but trust me when I say I love you."

You stayed silent, not knowing what to do with this new information. Harry stared at you in panic, "Please say you love me too."

Your eyes brimmed with tears, "Oh Harry, of course I love you."

Harry smiled a genuine smile. The first genuine smile he's had since the breakup. He wanted to scream in joy but you interrupted him, "But you broke my heart. And I can't forgive you for that."

Harry's smile instantly faded. "But-"

You shook your head no at him and leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "I'm sorry, Harry." You got up from your spot next to him and began to leave the party. Harry stared at you walking away. This was the second time he let you walk out of his life.