42 Hours || Part One

When she was a little girl, Y/N's grandmother had told her about Murphy's Law. Grandma Sarah's favorite activity was staring at her granddaughter over the kitchen counter, a knife in one hand and half an onion that she'd been cutting in the other, spouting various wisdoms at the young girl, who would often be sitting and peeling vegetables for her. The old lady had hoped that, after being lectured enough times on life's difficulties, Y/N might be able to avoid making the same mistakes that she had made in her own time. She always had a list of advice that she'd cycle through, as if she were a record on a loop.

"Always look both ways before crossing the street. Your great uncle Albert didn't, and he never regained full function of his left hand."

"Beauty fades, but there's no shelf life on your mind."

"The grass is always greener on the other side, so stop staring at it, and focus on taking care of your own lawn."

All of the advice was, by any accounts, useful for anyone to know, especially a young girl. Of course, sometimes the advice would get a little scrambled after Grandma Sarah had had a few glasses of wine, but even her tipsy thoughts were useful to Y/N in her later years. To this day, Y/N still sets a glass of water on her nightstand before going out to a bar, and her hungover self is always grateful the next morning. And Y/N had yet to find anything that smelled as sweet as a vanilla dabbed behind her ears and on her wrists when she runs out of perfume. However, perhaps the most important piece of advice Grandma Sarah ever gave her came one afternoon when Y/N was eleven years old, and her older cousin Grace was due to get married the next week.

Grandma Sarah had cracked egg after egg into her mixing bowl, always without getting any unwanted pieces of shell in the egg whites, and gave her granddaughter a long look across the kitchen counter.

"When you get married, Y/N," She had said, voice firm. "Remember Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible moment. When Murphy's Law comes into play, there's nothing you can do except roll with the punches."

Eleven year old Y/N had nodded her head seriously, as she always did when her grandmother told her seemingly important things. The advice, despite its usefulness, however, didn't stick around in her head, and Murphy's Law didn't cross Y/N's mind for fourteen years.

It takes fourteen years for Y/N, who is standing in front of a flight check-in at LAX, two large suitcases next to her, one of which contains two gold wedding bands, passport in hand, and a distressed look on her face, to remember the law her grandmother had once told her about.

"When you get married, Y/N...anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible moment."

Taking a deep breath to calm herself, Y/N pushes the echoing words of her grandmother out of her head. "I'm sorry, just—" She gives a pained smile to the lady working the check in. "Can you explain that to me again, please?"

The lady also takes a deep breath, the smile on her ruby tinted lips just as pained as Y/N's. "There's a storm system moving through Utah and Colorado. These systems have the potential to become tornadoes, and because of that, the conditions for flying are too dangerous right now, so all flights through that area are grounded until further notice."

"So my flight is cancelled?" Y/N holds up the ticket in her hand that's stamped with LAX – JFK. "This flight, this flight to New York, which is nowhere near Utah—that's cancelled?"

The check-in lady, whose name tag reads Brynn, gives another tight smile. "Yes, ma'am. It's cancelled."

"Okay, no, I'm sorry, Brynn, but that doesn't work for me." Y/N shakes her head fiercely as the manic rush of emotions through her begins to set in. The denial, she finds, keeps the oncoming panic at bay, and so she decides to focus on that to ground herself. "My best friend is getting married in the Catskills in one week." Y/N holds up one finger, as if her words are hard for Brynn to understand. "That's one week from today. I'm the maid of honour. I have to be there to help organize, keep her calm, and make sure she actually makes it down the aisle, because—between you and me—she's got some commitment issues—" The more Y/N speaks, the more her panic begins to spill out in her words, like a dam with a leak that's about to burst. "And she forgot the goddamn wedding rings, so I have those too, and I just—I really need to get to New York, like, now. Right now."