Insecurely Smart

Since you were a little kid you were so curious, and physics were so interesting to you, it really involved everything, from the smallest particles to the whole universe, from how the universe was formed to how it may end. Of course, it was something you chose to pursue. Since you were 15 you would write papers and one of them was published by the age of 16 by a famous magazine.

It was your true passion, your true love, but not your only love. Your parents have always been so proud of you, but parents will be parents, and they were worried that such a smart woman might not find a life partner, but you did, and he was the most loving, caring person you've met. He took care of you when you had too much on your plate, even when he was so busy himself, cooked for you, drove you, it was an understatement to say that you loved that man with every cell in your body.

And he, oh, he loved you too, with such an intensity it sometimes scared him a little. He looked up to you, he knows you are so smart and so beautiful, a pure soul, he felt the luckiest man on earth. Sure, it could be said that he was intimidated by your knowledge, but it also lured him on so many ways. So, he started to read more than he used to, even picked up some of your habits, like listening to podcasts while running, or reading before sleeping instead of watching the telly, lowkey wanting to have more things to talk with you about.

Lately he had been feeling a little insecure, he had never considered himself dumb, or less intelligent than anybody, but after a fancy reception with some of your peers, he had been having his doubts, you had been genuinely laughing at some physic jokes he didn't quite get yet pretended to understand in order to fit. It had been the first time he felt like an outsider, and he had never seen you fully in your environment, it was different when you were with his friends at one of his parties with loud music, a beer and some odd jokes. He started to feel stupid and way less funny, that's why he hadn't really talked much to you, that's when you picked something was wrong.

"Harry, honey, are you ok?" It had been exactly three days since your party, and it was cookie Wednesday and Harry didn't make one of his smarty remarks about them.

"Yes, petal, your cookies are luscious." He smiled at you. He was reading "the Briefer Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

"luscious?" you raised an eyebrow; he had never used that word. He turned to you with a frown on his face.

"Yeah, luscious, exquisite, appetizing." He kind of snapped at you.

"H, I know what it means, are you sure everything is ok? You are acting kind of weird." you said with your softest voice.

He sighed.

"I want to ask you something, please be honest with me."

"Harry, you are scaring me a little." You said, honestly, as you sat next to him at the couch.

"Do you think I am dumb?" he said, eyes on his lap.

Then you connected some dots, he had been acting strange since the reunion with your colleagues, he hadn't said any jokes or hasn't really been playful at all.

"Of course, not, Harry Edward, you are so very smart, and that's a fact and my opinion." You moved so now you were next to him, you put his cup of tea in the table next to him, he put his book next him as well and you sat on his lap, hands on his cheeks.

"But you laughed so much at their jokes, smart jokes." He pouted, his mood much better now, his hands on the small of your back, he was fighting a smile, you could tell.

"Yeah, but they are not as funny as you are, you make me laugh, genuinely." You looked deep into his eyes, and so did he.

"I love you, so very much, smart girl." He loved the smile you had on at the moment, eyes almost disappearing, it made his heart pound hard on his chest.

"And I love you, so very much, smart boy."