Soulmate || Part 1

the first time Harry had learned about soulmates was when he was 5 years old. one night, Gemma had come downstairs from her room crying about her soulmate. she explained to their mother that her soulmate was listening to music with bad words. as a 9 year old, it was upsetting to her. Anne had then sat them both down and explained the importance of listening to appropriate music.

"the music you listen to is how your soulmate first gets to know you. it's important to listen to music that you would be proud of sharing with them," she explained.

"our soulmates can hear the music we listen to?" a small Harry asked.

Harry listened to his mother explain the science of soulmates to him, and his eyes were wide the whole time. he was so awestruck with the idea of a soulmate, someone who he was destined to love for the rest of his life. he was so in love with the idea of them.

when he was 8 years old, he realized his soulmate was much quieter than his friends' soulmates. he cried to Anne one night about it, and she explained that it was because his soulmate was far away and that the closer he was to his soulmate the louder he could hear their music. Anne had reasoned that his soulmate might live in another country, which amazed the young Harry. how was he supposed to love someone who was so far away?

at age 7, you had also been concerned with how quite your soulmate was. your parents just shrugged it off; however, the kids at school would tease you for it. you had been told many times that your soulmate didn't exist. you knew better, though.

as you got older, you found comfort in the faint music of your soulmate. it was comforting to know that they were there, that they did exist. they had an older taste in music than you did, but you didn't mind. you were just glad that you had someone.

the 'gummybear song' was the first time Harry noticed his soulmate.

he was 9 years old. you were 8.

he heard the 'gummybear song' everyday during his maths class. he found it weird that he could always hear that annoying song around the same time everyday. he eventually realized that it was his soulmate, and he found your taste in music very annoying because of this.

unknown to him, because of the time difference, you were on your way to school when he was sitting in his maths class. you carpooled to school everyday with your neighbors, and every morning, your neighbor's youngest daughter insisted that she listened to the gummybear song before school. everyone in the car found it insistently annoying, and it practically drove you all insane. however, it was better to listen to that for three minutes compared to listening to her cry and whine for the entire ride to school.

this continued for years until you decided on bringing your ipod and headphones to school to listen to that instead of the horrendous 'gummybear song'.

Harry was so grateful when he no longer had to listen to it.

you fell in love to 'isn't she lovely' by stevie wonder.

you were 14. he was 15.

you had stumbled across it, and you had immediately put it on your playlist. you listened to it occasionally whenever you had your playlist on shuffle.

Harry found the song beautiful. he loved it. he knew that you listened to it so frequently that you must have like it. he learned how to sing it. it was one of his favorites to sing so it wasn't a surprise to him that he put it on his list of songs to audition with for the X-Factor.

your heart felt like it could burst when you heard the knock-off version of the song for the first time from your soulmate. the singer was an amateur at best, but you loved it. your soulmate must have known that it was one of your favorites, and they cared enough to play the song for you.