The Three Little Words I Can't Say

– Y/N's POV –

I can't help it.

I can't help it at all.

I clamp a hand over my mouth to keep my sobs from escaping, as I hear Harry confess to Niall.

I'm not falling out of love with him.

I'm as madly in love, if not more in love, with him than I have ever been before and I can't even suck in my guts and tell him that.

Harry is getting fed up with me and I know that.

My sobs shake my shoulders.

But I love him so much. So much.

And he doesn't know that.

Why can't I just look him in the eye and tell him that?

I hate myself for it.

I lift the sheets away from my body and creep into the bathroom, locking it gently behind me.

One look in the mirror and that's enough for me to break down even more.

Harry doesn't want me like this.

I can't even look in the mirror and name one thing good about myself.

He deserves someone who is confident and outspoken.

Someone who is always strong.

Someone who can look into his beautiful, beautiful green eyes and tell him what they truly feel.

Someone who isn't me.

— Harry's pov –

He hears her crying.

How could he not?

When she cries, it's as if his soul is being ripped apart.

He almost drops his phone.

"Harry?" Niall's voice is barely coming through to him. "What's wrong?"

"S-she–" and then he's off. A loud crack echoes from where he dropped his cell phone but he doesn't worry about that–it's easily replaceable. Y/N, on the other hand...

He tears into the room but she's not in bed. He's about to search upstairs but then he notices the bathroom light on.

And door locked.

He carefully makes his way over, the cries louder now.

"Y/N?" He places his palms on the door, ear too. "Kitten? What's wrong?"

She sniffs and he hears the break in her voice before she speaks. It breaks his heart. "N-nothing," she whimpers.

Harry almost smiles at her foolishness. She was never one to confide in anyone, more willing to push things away and deny them until she absolutely had to. And then when she absolutely had to confront it, she would break from the pressure. And right now she was. Harry never disliked her for this. In fact, he loved her more for it. Because she was exactly like him in this sense. They were both deniers and breakers.

"Kitten, let me in," he tries the doorknob but it wouldn't budge.

He can picture her fiddling with her fingers, like she does when she's nervous. "Harry, I'm fine, okay? Nothing for you to worry about. I'll be out in a second."

Harry frowns, "What do you mean nothing for me to worry about?"

Silence.

"Let me in," He growls, not in impatience but in worry. "Love, please open up. I need to see–"

"But that's it!" Y/N suddenly exclaims and she's crying again. Harry's hands curl up into a ball, wishing so desperately that a door wasn't between them. "You can't see!"

He bites his lip. He knows where this is going. Part of him wants it, but the other part of him–the part that denies–would much rather jump off a cliff.

Y/N continues when he doesn't interrupt. "I...Harry...I love you, you know? You probably don't, but I love you so much. And I'm sorry there has to be a door between us for me to tell you." He gasps, but she doesn't let him speak. "I...I have a problem...and I'm so sorry for it. I'm sorry I put you through it."

Harry can't help it now–he bangs on the door.

"Goddamnit Y/N, open the door. Please."

But she doesn't.

"Haz, I can't express myself. I can't look people in the eyes and keep them there. And...and the more you know me? The more I can't speak to you. So, do you get it now?"

Harry keeps pounding, "Get what? Y/N please open up, you're starting to scare me, kitten. It's just me. It's your Harry. It's me."

And then the door is open.

Y/N's standing up and facing him.

Her eyes are on his, but at the same time, they aren't. He can see her struggling not to tear them away. But then she does and she balls up her fists, "I can't even tell the person I love with all my heart: I love you."

Harry bends down to try to meet her eyes but it's useless. She's pressing her eyes shut and her hands are covering her face. Harry extends his arms and she's suddenly in his embrace.

He rocks her back and forth.

"You have to leave me," Y/N cries and he tenses up. "You can't be with me. You...you deserve someone better. Someone who isn't as insecure as me."

He presses his lips to the top of her head and rests his head there. "You're wrong."

She shakes her head, "No I'm not. I'm not worth all this love. You need to run as far as possible, away from me."

Harry growls and almost pushes her away.

His eyes are scary, reflecting the terror in her eyes. "Stop it. Stop it Y/N. I will never leave you. I love you. And that means I will not leave you."

"But I'm pathetic!" Y/N bursts. "You're wasting your time! I will keep ignoring you and I will keep pushing you away until you eventually leave! I'm not the kind of person that people stick around for. I'm the kind of person that–"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence," Harry says, his voice deadly low. And then it's as if all the energy is being sucked out of him and he collapses to his knees. Y/N's eyes are filled with worry as she sits down beside him and traces her small hand over his arm. "I...I know you're insecure. And I know you have anxiety. And I know sometimes you get depressed, and you know what? I wouldn't change a thing about you."

"That's not true," she interrupts. "Come on...you're saying you wouldn't change the way I talk to you?"

Harry smiles up at her, "I wouldn't."