Chapter 29.

Hotch's POV.

I got back to my room, showered and changed but I couldn't sleep. Gideon had told me he was trying to distance himself from Adri as he was planning on retiring from the BAU and was going to move somewhere away from all the trauma so that more than likely meant another country. There isn't a single place in America that can't be plagued with at least one bad thing. He had told me this after we had interviewed Marcus, he just couldn't take seeing those he loved in pain. He knows Adri didn't blame him, but he blamed himself for letting it happen.

He told me that's why he had tried to set Adri and Derek up so she could have someone other than me when he left. This added to the stress of not really knowing if Adri was okay or not gave me a headache. I knew Adri would pretend she's okay, but she'd let it build until she burst. I wasn't there the first time at the beginning, so I missed this part last time, Gideon had told me to expect her to shut you out Hayley as well, but he also told me not to let her because if she got too far away, she'd never return.

I trusted Morgan with my life, but Adri was like my daughter, Hayley saw her as one as well and the instinct to protect her overcame me, but it was Derek. I knew he acted as this big player but in reality, I knew his mother and sisters had taught him respect and that he'd eventually need to settle down. I knew he'd be good for her she's never really been around people her own age it's either been people mine or Gideon's age, teenagers or Jack. She had been an amazing asset to our family, mine at home but also the BAU family, I was tempted to offer her a job as an agent or doctor, considering she already had the qualifications a PHD in psychology and BAs in sociology and law. She was incredibly smart almost as smart as Reid I think, no I know that's why they get on so well, Adri was better at hiding her smartness than Reid, but I feel like she didn't like the attention that came from it.

I looked at my clock and it was now 3AM we had to be at the airport at 8AM, the team wanted to have some alone time before starting tomorrow morning. It was a Sunday and I hope to come home to Jack and Hayley who will insist I bring Adri for dinner after I did ring her to tell her what our current situation was. It would be perfect.

Sorry for the short chapter.