Chapter 41.

Adrianna's POV.

Once we got home last night we decided to change into comfy clothes and watch a movie in the Derek's bed. When I woke up this morning Derek was missing but I could smell bacon, so I figured he was downstairs cooking, "Morning sleepy head, how'd you enjoy the end of the movie last night?" he asks mischievously, thinking back on it I couldn't remember the ending, we had decided to watch the first fast and furious movies as Derek thought it was diabolical that I'd never watched them before. "I fell asleep didn't I" it wasn't a question but more a statement. He just nodded, placing some bacon on a plate that held hash browns and toast and eggs but mines was without the eggs.

"So, what do you wanna do today?" he asks while shoveling egg into his mouth. He looks up his ears turning a slight pink in embarrassment, I smile biting into my toast "I figured we could go to the park and feed the ducks, take a walk" I paused thinking what else we could do "Oh and we could go to the pet store and look at cute puppies or the dog shelter and do that thing where you take a dog for a day" he chuckled at my little outburst but now I really wanted to do it. "Okay we'll go to the shelter ask if we can take one of the dogs for a walk, go to the pet store maybe get it a bone, I don't know, then take him or her to the park for a walk" I smiled and jumped up and ran to him hugging him and kissed his cheek.

We were now on the way to the shelter, and I was bouncing my knee out of excitement, Derek placed his hand on my knee to stop the bouncing and I looked over and smiled at him as we pulled into the shelter. I jumped out the car running to the front and grabbing Derek's hand dragging him with me "You're acting like a child" he mumbled. We walked up to the front desk and there was a lady sat behind "Hi how can I help you today?" she asked, she seemed nice "We were wondering if you still running the program where you adopt one of the dogs for a day" Derek spoke, probably thinking I was too excited to form a coherent sentence. The lady nods and hands us a form to fill out just basically wanting our contact details and their policies and stuff. As we finished that a young lady maybe around 24 walked out "Hi, I'm Emma, I'm going to be helping you choose which dog you'd like to take out today, we can't thank you enough, we don't get enough people willing to spend their free time doing this" she smiled. "It's no problem, I've always wanted a dog and I guess I never got one, if I fall in love enough, I might consider adopting" Derek looked at me as if I'd gone mad and pulled me close as we started moving towards where the kennels were "You didn't tell me that" he whispered in my ear, I just smirked at him.

"This is the kennel block that has all the dogs that are suitable to go out and if you look at their charts it'll tell you a bit about them and what they like to do, basically what their personalities are" Emma says leaving us to look at the dogs. There was every type of breed here however I was drawn to a 2-year-old Doberman called Zena right at the end of the kennel block. Derek was crouched down stoking a staffy "Derek come here" I called him over "Look at her Derek" I picked up her chart "Hi I am Zena; I am a 2-year-old Doberman. I like to fetch a ball, but it may take me a while to trust you as I am a shy pooch, however after a few treats you will be my best friend" I read off her chart, I felt as though she was overlooked, she looked sad. Derek saw the look in my eyes and nodded and walked away to go find Emma. While he was doing that Zena came up to the front of the kennel and sniffed my hand and licked it, I smiled, I felt instantly connected to her, like she somehow needed me, and I needed her.

"Wow I haven't seen that happen before, Zena doesn't connect to people well, we suspect she was abused, there's only one of our staff members who work here that could get her to completely relax and sadly she left the other month. And because of her breed people think she's dangerous so don't won't to take her out" Emma said looking completely bewildered that I was there stroking Zena. I stepped back as Emma went in and she was about to put a muzzle on her "She doesn't need that" I say sternly because I completely believe that she didn't. Emma nodded and clipped the lead to her collar and handed me her. I crouched down and started scratching behind her ear which caused her leg to start twitching which made us all giggle.

Getting into the car we drove to the pet store to get treats and ball and other toys. When we got to the park, I let Zena off although Derek was hesitant because he didn't want her to lose her, but even when I let her off, she didn't go more than five steps ahead of us. We walked around for an hour before we stopped at a food cart and got hot dogs and some water for all three of us. We were walking back towards the car when Derek's phone rang "Hey Hotch, what's up?" he asked, I grabbed his phone off him "Hotch you better have a damn good excuse for this phone call" I told him no hint of playfulness or anything "We need Derek and you if you'd be willing it's local and you don't have to go out in the field" he replied I contemplated it, thinking of Zena "On one condition" I spoke "What is it?" he asks I could hear the hesitancy in his voice "I bring the dog we have with us and she stays by my side until I have to take her home" I said seriously expecting him to not agree "Okay, see you in 10" and he hung up.

"Looks like were going to work" I say clipping Zena's lead back on her and handing Derek his phone back.