prologue

Harry

2011

My heavy feet slap against the wet gravel, it was hard to see because of the rain, and a few times I found myself nearly slipping. My heart slammed against my chest in panic as I breath heavily, the rain made me feel suffocated. It was dark. I run into the alley on my left, not even being able to see the end of it, but I'm sure there was a trashcan. I look up at the night sky, and for a moment I pause. It was beautiful. It was peaceful. As my morning was, I never would have expected my night to end like this.

Lights flashed from the party in the large buildings to my left and I snap out of my daze, not realizing I had stopped running. Thank god that the college students had something to preoccupy them, I couldn't get caught. Mom would fucking kill me. I'd get kicked out of school, or worse; I'd go to prison. I'm a law major, I can't go to fucking prison.

A roll of thunder encases the sky and I flinch, looking behind me in the dark weather to see her. "Harry!" She yelled through the rain, my eyes widen through the harsh weather. She stood a few meters away, standing completely still. Her blonde hair fell over her shoulders, soaked from the rain. She wore a pair of jean shorts and a tank and I could tell she regretted it, as she was shivering. I felt guilty, looking at her. She was at the end of the alley, waiting patiently. I couldn't bear to see her this way.

"What are you doing!?" I shout back, feeling my hands tremble, and not from the weather. I push my long brown hair out of my forehead as my mouth stays parted open, nervously waiting for her to speak. 

"Have you seen him? I saw him out here and I-" She begins to walk towards me, but she's cut off by the sound of police sirens and lights flashing. Fuck, fuck.

"I have to go!" I tell her truthfully, her eyebrows furrow as she looks over her shoulder at the police cars pulling up at the end of the alley. She turns around swiftly and raises her hands up in submission. "I don't know what's going on!" She pleads. "Put your hands up!" The officer yells at her, aiming his pistol. I inhale a sharp breath through my nose, turning my back away and running towards the garbage can. I feel myself beginning to wheeze as the tears ran down my face. I never wanted this. I never wanted anyone to get hurt.

"Hey!" I hear the officer shout. My heart drops to my feet and my breath hitches in my throat as my movements come to an halt. The policeman's flashlight shone across the alley to the end, the blinding illumination plastered on the brick wall. 

 This was it. 

are yall fuckin excited or what lol