XII

Logan.

China stood in front of the shades rack at Forever 21, twisting it back and forth as she modeled a pair of black shades with rhinestones along the side, "I dig it." She mumbles to herself, her brows furrowing as she turns her head to the side. "They're cute, they'll go nice with that Earth Wind and Fire shirt." I refer to the gray tee hanging over her arm.

Since spring break was only next week, the store was packed with college students in search of something to wear to their trips to Miami or Myrtle beach vacations. The focused shoppers produced a murmur of items beeping as they were rung up, buggies sliding against the tile, and conversation dictating which crop top looked better than the next.

My own hands carried a pair of ragged denim shorts and a few cheap pieces of jewelry. Granted, because of North Carolina's indecisive weather, I probably won't be due to wear the shorts until May. They were on sale though, so why not?

"Okay, I think I'm ready to go. Is that all you're getting?" China folds the shades down and holds them in her hand, her other hand tucking a thick curl of hair into her high bun. It's only five, but she has to be home soon to help her siblings pack for a week with their fathers. We make our way to the long line that pours out into the underwear section, making small conversation about how frustrated the workers must be with the hectic work day.

"Logan." A disembodied voice sounds from over my shoulder. I almost ignore it, but China stops her sentence and turns around, her brows furrowed at....Jane? Her dark waves are flawlessly cascading down her chest, the other half down her back and pinned with a lotus flower hair clip. I didn't take her as one to get underwear from forever21, but here she was, cocking a bra as she dropped a pair of lace panties back in the bin.

"Jane." I respond blankly.

"I can't say it's a shock to see you here," Her stance is defensive, both hands now holding her Louis Vouitton bag in front of her. The line moves up and China moves with it, her eyes still carefully watching the interaction. "I don't know what that's supposed to mean."

"You know." She breathes out, blinking and smiling almost crazily. What the hell is her issue? ""I didn't take Harry as the kind of guy to fuck someone not even old enough to drink. But what can I say? I also didn't peg him as a murderer." Her tone gets nasty.

"What the hell are you talking about? Harry didn't murder anybody. And we never... did anything."

"Then how come he got so defensive when I asked him about you?"

"I don't know? Why are you asking him about me anyway?" I point my chin to her, my brows still creased in confusion. I'm glad that the store is loud and nobody pays us any mind. Our voices are only minded by us.

"That doesn't matter. It barely was anything, until he made it something. I don't know what you two have going on-"

"We don't have anything going on." I repeat, now annoyed. "What did Harry tell you?"

Her eyes roll and she switches the brown bag to one hand, "All I know is that he embarrassed me that night, and it's because of you." She takes an inch of a step closer to me, brow cocking once again in an attempt to intimidate me.

"Look, I don't know what happened between you two, but I can guarantee you it had nothing to do with me."

Her eyes rake up and down my body, making me feel somewhat self conscious of the plain black crop top and oversized jean jacket. My arms snake around to cross over my chest, the jean shorts and jewelry still being clutched in my hand. Before I could say anything, She gives me a "Hmph"- twisting on her red bottoms and strutting through the aisles to the automatic doors. Then, she's gone.