XXII

Harry accompanied me while I spoke to the police, his shoulder brushed against mine as we sat side by side in front of detective Robbins. Now and then I'd glance at Harry, who did a good job of nodding as if telling me to continue.

A couple of times I'd wanted to puke and call the entire thing off, but the raised eyebrows Harry had given me in encouragement made me feel like it was too late.

It doesn't take long for us to finish, and when we're announced well to go, it's bittersweet. I'm glad to have gotten it over with, but I'm also confused. detective Robbins told us they already have Ryder in custody for breaking and entering since he'd been released from the hospital a couple of hours ago. This is information that I don't know how to take, so I nod.

"We'll call you if we have any more questions," She says, giving me a close-lipped smile while shaking my hand.

Harry and I make our way back to his car and I glance up at the grayish-blue sky, i wanted to feel good about going to speak with a detective, but Ruders threat lingered in the back of my mind and all I felt was regretful. Harry had been so convincing as he was when he wanted me to open a case to begin with.

"Do you feel better?" He asks once we're stopped at a red light. My head is craned down at my phone while I scroll through Instagram to distract my mind.

"Yeah." I lie. I feel like shit.

"You're not a good liar." He pushes, calmly accelerating when the light flickers green.

"I'm fine."

He doesn't ask anymore after that, and I'm glad.

A quick stop to my house is made, where I pack a small bag since I'll be staying with him until my mother's get back. Harry walks me to the door and tells me he'll wait until I get back, and he does.

The ride to his house is short as usual, as we get out of the car, i read the time to be six pm. I can't help but feel exhausted at the way today has gone by, and I thought that the jittery feeling in my stomach about Ryder would have subsided by now, but it's only worse. My throat feels like it's being closed up every time I take a breath.

I don't want to blame Harry for the feeling, because I know it isn't his fault. but I can't help but wonder if I'd be this guilty if I hadn't gone. I know it was a mistake, and I should have just followed my gut.

"Are you hungry?" Harry asks when he flickers on the kitchen light, lighting up the area. I'm suffocated by the smell of him when I step in, I can't tell if it's comforting or not.

"No."

"We haven't eaten since this morning," He reminds me, paying more attention to my reserved behavior. I raise my brows briefly to avoid rolling my eyes. All I want to do is shower and wash the day off of me. His question are simple but along with everything else today, they're stressing me out.

My look doesn't go unnoticed by him as he locks the door shut and hangs his keys, "What's that look for?"

"I didn't give you a look."

"You did,"

"No, I didn't." I snap, feeling my irritation grow at his pestering. "I'm gonna shower."

"Hey, what the hell is your problem?" He asks as I'm walking away towards the bathroom. I debate ignoring him, but the fiery voice in my head pushes me to spit whatever comes out.

"You act like you know what's best for me and it's getting annoying, because you don't," I vaguely exclaim, turning to face him with raised brows. I adjust my bag over my shoulder and for a second, my features soften at his stunned expression, but it quickly hardens again when he lets out a scoff.