XV

"You should be getting your license soon, how do you say you want a car but you can't even drive." Ellen scolds from the living room as she pads in front of the stairs to make her way into the kitchen. Her bitter mood strangely had no effect on me, and I think it has something to do with my last few days with Harry. After Tuesday, our lessons started off the same. I'd come in (a few minutes earlier) and he'd ask me how my day was.

The actual lesson followed after a few moments of small talk. I'd read the first chapter aloud, then Harry would do his signature grunt as he leaned up in the chair to read the next. His rose-colored lips would form over each word, accentuated in his strong accent. When he'd do a double-take, catching my solid gaze, I'd clear my throat and look away. These were the times where I wondered how far we would have gone if the rain hadn't interrupted us nights before. Though I missed him after our time together, we often made up for it with short texts throughout the night that would make good conversation for the next day.

"Are you listening?" Ellen's bony, wrinkled, fingers snap in my face, making my head push back in annoyance. 

"Why do you have to get in my face?" I mumble as she moves past me and to Miranda, who opens the microwave to grab her popcorn. With it being a Friday night before a long break and both of them being off, we decided to have a movie night. There was a slight argument in what movie we'd watch, but we settled on Pulp Fiction, the movie Miranda chose. I'd usually have no interest in Quentin Tarantino films, but I vaguely remember Harry mentioning it in one of our earlier lessons and I figured why not. The movie was paused in its beginning credits while we all stood in the kitchen, taking turns popping our popcorn. I shoot a quick text to Harry at the thought.

Me- guess what we're watching tonight 

His response is almost immediate.

Big H- What?

Me- pulp fiction :)))

"Your mother is right, I'm starting to think we're spoiling you, Mija." Miranda teases as I rip open the plastic on a popcorn bag. I roll my eyes playfully.

"I'm actually thinking about enrolling in the course on the broad street but they aren't taking any physical classes, only online. So I'll need someone to actually teach me how to drive. Plus, I need a car for the official test." I remind them of their reluctance to let me anywhere near their cars. They both share knowing looks as I nod and push the buttons on the microwave, "Exactly."

Ellen lets out a sarcastic laugh, and Miranda bumps her hips with hers just as her phone goes off the living room. "Oop. I'll be right back." I watch her as she saunters into the living room, her heavy curls in a high bun and black polka-dotted pajama dress sliding down her shoulder.

I lean with my back against the counter, crossing my arms over my chest. Ellen runs a brush through her dirty blonde hair as her eyes scan the pantry for SkinnyPop. "It's in the cabinet," I tell her, and she nods before checking. The silence is almost unbearable, so I pull my phone from the side of the microwave to check Harry's text.

Big H- Who's idea was that? Couldn't have been yours.

Me- actually it was. rude ass.

"You know, if you get your license, I'll think about the car." 

"I had my eyes on a Subaru, I heard they're pretty safe." I slide the phone into my jogger's pocket. This is the first time in a while that Ellen and I have been left alone with an actual conversation in a while. And it's weird. I can tell she's trying her hardest to keep everything standard. Ellen only nods, but before I can say anything else, Miranda's rushed footsteps find their way into the kitchen. Her phone is in her hand, the call ended as her wide eyes find Ellen.