XXIX

By the time I'm there, my limbs are frozen together and my throat is cracked dry. I should have bought an entire bottle as opposed to the half drank one. I sniffle from the cold and rub my nose for the thousandth time. I don't know if my nose was red or not, but I'm willing to bet money it is. 

I walk up the pathway, looking down at my feet so I don't slip and fall on the slippery leaves that were coated in a thin layer of ice. Every time, I forget how annoying this walk is, but it all seems worth it when I reach the top and am given the view of...everything.

Being up there makes me feel in control of something. I'm so used to being told what to do, especially by Ellen, that I felt like I needed it. Now that she's leaving me, I don't know what will happen. I don't know how or if I can explain that to her. They're going through enough now, obviously. And I'm an adult. They have no reason to stay and actually figure out where I'll go. The scary part is that it's completely up to me. Nobody is making the decision for me.

My thoughts come to a slow stop when I see the city lights and I'm filled with a burst of adrenaline that sends me jogging the rest of the way up, breathing heavy, dray pants that I know will leave me in a coughing fit.

My coughs stop when I recognize there's already someone up here.

"Harry?"

The tall man cranes his neck, his palms pressed against the grass as he gazed down that the view. We were dressed the same, in joggers and a hoodie. He prepared to be out in the cold, but why? Did I really happen to run into him here?

His face is pale, his cheeks a rosy color and his nose tinted red as well. He holds his fist up to his mouth to cough before speaking as I walk towards where he sits, careful where I'm stepping.

"What are you doing?" He asks, his voice cracking from the cold.

"I could ask you the same thing," I say.

He shrugs as I sit next to him with a grunt, sighing as I lean back on my palms and look out into the city. I can never get over the view or the noise. The sound of the lively city night living in front of me is the perfect movie.

"I like to come out here."

"Oh wow, funny, cause I do too."

"It's a sight,"

"I know."

We sit in silence, and it doesn't bother me. I appreciate it. Every single noise I heard- the crickets chirping, the whistle of the wind, the occasional siren that blares from below. It all comes together to form the perfect symphony to my ears, and it immediately soothes me.

When a gust of air blows by and nips under my hoodie to raise the hairs on my arms, I sit up, hugging my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. Harry glances at me and presses his lips together as he leans up from his palms naturally to wrap an arm around me.

This isn't the first time he's done this, but it always feels like it. The same excited feeling bounces around my rib cages and I find myself focusing too hard on how I'm breathing. It's the same feeling I get whenever his gaze on me lingers for a second too long and I feel an urge to fix my hair or wet my lips.

I lie my head against the inside of his chest and am instantly met with the warmness of his body heat. It provides relief from the cold but my toes still curl in my shoes.

"I've been out here a few times since last time." He says randomly, his voice vibrates from his chest as I listen to the steady hum of his heartbeat.

"Why?"

He traces thoughtless circles on my arm with his thumb as we both keep our eyes on the city below, "Boredom, mostly. But sometimes to think."

I understand the feeling, it's why I came out here in the first place, "Which one is it now?"