XXX

Once I'd gathered myself from last night, I was finally able to formulate a plan. One that I considered being foolproof.

Soto was speaking at the elementary school today, despite it being a Saturday, meaning he wouldn't be home. I know Kenneth stays on campus, so I won't have to worry about him. The hardest part would be getting in the house, but I have it covered. Soto's maid, Martha, takes a ten-minute smoke break in her car every day at 12 right after gardening in the backyard, meaning, she doesn't lock the sliding door.

All I have to do is sneak in during those ten minutes and find something on his computer that will prove he's dirty. I look for the purple flash drive I'll bring just in case.

"Good morning, Mija, how did you sleep?" Miranda asks as I run into her in the hallway. I have time to put something on my stomach, so I decide I'll see what she's cooking. Only she isn't, she's just now leaving the room with her hair a frizzy mess, bags under her eyes, and a puffy face. I can't tell if it's from the crying and stress or just pregnancy, so I chose not to say anything.

"I slept okay," I lie, tucking a strand of freshly washed hair behind my ears as I begin downstairs with her following, "What about you."

"You're a bad liar, Mija, I saw that boy bring you home at god knows what hour," She says and my brows stitch together in confusion.

"I thought you were sleeping, why were you up."

She shrugs, "Pregnancy. So what's going on between you two? He's your tutor isn't he?" We get to the bottom of the stairs and I shake my head of any thoughts involving Harry. He will be a distraction from today. I know he's probably texted me, but I think I left my phone at either C-Hill or his car.

"I don't know, he's just a friend." Another lie. Since when do friends fuck and finger each other?

Again, Miranda catches me, but only hums an unconvinced, mhm, before walking into the kitchen and grabbing a box of Cheerios.

 I decide to do the same, and we eat at the table. I learn from Miranda that Ellen is outside piling a few boxes in her car, getting ready to leave. For some reason, I can't shake the sad feeling away. I know she won't be gone forever, and shes' still my mom. Seeing her leave just reminds me of everything I tried to forget last night.

Ellen comes in as we're finishing up breakfast and asks me to help her carry one last box that I know she can carry alone, here comes that conversation.

We make our way outside and to my surprise, it's a bit warmed up.

"I'll be back next week to finish up some stuff for the house, so I'll see you then," She squints at me through the sun and I nod, aimlessly rocking back and forth as she gives me a sad smile and opens her arms. I feel my eyes sting as I hug her, repeatedly telling myself this isn't goodbye.

I pull away and look up into the sky, releasing a breathy laugh before my eyes find a white Volkswagen parallel parked a few feet behind our mailbox. I step around Ellen and squint, confused when there's nobody in the car. Our neighbors had a free driveway on both sides, why would they park so close to us?

Ellen follows my gaze and she makes my face drop in uncertainty as she reaches into her pocket and wiggles car keys in front of my face.

My eyes grow to the size of dinner plates and my jaw falls slack as she smiles, nodding as if answering my unasked question. I look back at the car, taking the keys and laughing in disbelief as I wrap my arms around her again.

"Thank you! Thank you!" I pepper kisses all over her face as I squeeze. If I wasn't crying before, I sure as hell am now.

Miranda here's the commotion and comes outside, still looking sick as she smiles, telling me she was in on it.