XXI

Logan

It's peaceful when I wake up.

Though my eyes don't open immediately, I can hear the tapping of the morning rain against the window coupled with heavy snores from Harry, who I hear at the other side of the bed, sleeping so that our feet were in each other's faces.

My lips form into a smile as our kiss flashes in my mind. I don't think I would have done it in my right mind, but I'm glad I did. Yesterday was shitty, but staying up with Harry and binge-watching Criminal Minds while he dozed off (claiming he was still up when I smacked his shoulder) made it so much better.

I want to get out of bed, but the mattress and the cool air of the AC make me sink further into the bed, snuggling up so that my back was to Harry's long leg. The cover is tugged over my face, shielding me from the cold air. I wish I could stay like this forever, but I have so much to do. 

I have so much to do.

Shit. I yank the cover back down and toss my legs over the edge of the bed, rushedly rubbing the sleep out of my eyes and damn near tripping on the blanket that wraps around my ankle. I snatch my phone from the side table to see a few missed calls from my moms, and some texts from Ramon and China, my main focus is on the time- 8:34 am. My written test is at nine.

Last night is completely flushed away as I scramble in my drawer, ripping off the short pajama shorts and stuffing them inside, replacing them with a pair of wrinkled, black cargo pants. My shirt is a plain baby black tee, so I decide to leave it on.

Harry shifts in his sleep from the bed as I run into the bathroom and grab my toothbrush. I hear him get up with a groan, yawning afterward.

"I need you to take me to the DMV," I say with my mouth full of toothpaste, running back to the sink to spit and rinse off the brush. Harry's still confused, blinking harshly to wake himself up while I grab a vent brush and rake it through my hair a few times.

When I scamper back into the room, Harry is sitting on the edge of my bed, his back slumped in tiredness as he runs a hand through his untamed waves, "You've got to go to the police station." He reminds me, and I fight the urge to slap him out of this drowsy state so he could hurry up.

"Fuck that, I'll go later, Harry, but it's -" I pause to glance at the tiny digital clock on my dresser, "-8:40, and the DMV is like fifteen minutes away!"

Harry's face stays blank as he finally stands up, doing one last stretch. When I tell him he's moving too slow, he snaps at me to shut up, and I pretend I don't hear it. I'll put him and everything else that happened last night on the back burner. I've been trying to get my license for the last three years.

I make sure all the doors are locked and Harry checks the security system. My seatbelt is clicked on and I glance at Harry's hand when he yanks the car into reverse and slams on the gas, creating a loud screeching noise from his tires. He slams on the brakes and turns the wheel, shooting me a sarcastic look as if to say, "better?".

The entire ride is consisted of sharp turns, barely passing yellow lights, and doing well over the speed limit. Though I know Harry's cranky I woke him up by activating his fight or flight response, he's being considerate by trying to make sure I get there on time.

His Cadillac comes to an abrupt halt in a parking space directly in front of the building. I check my bag to make sure I have every legal document they'd need before thanking Harry and stumbling out of the car. 

The woman upfront is a heavy-set olive-toned woman with long, thick, straight hair down her back. Discoloration dances around her mouth, where she loudly chews a piece of gum behind the piece of glass that separates us.