XXIII

dont forget to comment as you go. this is technically a triple update :))) love u chicken nuggies <3

The next morning, I wasn't sure if I'd actually heard Harry up all night on the phone, or if it was a part of a dream, so I opted out of asking him about it. Not that I could, anyway, seeing as he was asleep on his couch when I'd gotten up.

When I went into his bathroom to freshen up, I noticed a CVS bag under the sink when I was looking for any extra tissue. I pulled it out nosily, untying the knot and opening it. There was a closed packet of toothbrushes, dove deodorant, and a bottle of Dove pomegranate body wash.

I reached into the bag further, grabbing the receipt and seeing that it was dated the day before I'd taken the pregnancy test. Did he buy these things for me?

I open the toothbrushes anyway, my mind spinning as I scrub my teeth, trying to place myself in his shoes during that time frame. I had been so in my head that I hardly remember anything outside of being stubbornly bitter. My chest tightens with guilt when our argument flashes before my eyes once again, the way I weaponized my abortion as a fighting point instead of just telling him.

God, I fucked up badly.

When I leave the restroom, I sigh softly. With the new day, I was brought a sense of refreshment.

Harry is still on the couch, lying on his back with one leg hiked up and the other flat. Both hands are behind his head, which is angled toward the tv. He looked like an angel, his milky white skin fresh and pink lips puffy from sleep as they part open with each soft breath he takes. His chest lifts and falls, a small snore coming from his nose.

I pull the blanket up to his chest and make my way toward his kitchen, grabbing a trash bag and starting to place the wrappers and pizza boxes into it. When I'm done, I move to the living room, making sure to be quiet as I lean down to pick up the trash.

I put the trashbag by the others, heading toward the dishwasher to open it and make sure all of the dishes are cleared out. I have a hard time putting them away seeing as I don't think I've ever used dishes here, but I manage, going back to the living room to collect used dishes and rinsing them out before putting them neatly.

Under his sink is a dish pod, along with Windex. I grab both, starting the dishwasher and being grateful for the low hum it emits through the silence of the small space, giving something to distract Harry back into slumber since he'd been stirring in his sleep a bit.

I use paper towels to wipe off his coffee table, leaving it spotless before taking his TV remote and setting it in the corner. There are a few of Harry's clothes on the floor, so I gather those in my arms as well, carrying them to his washer and tossing them in along with my clothes from last night. I push the buttons to start it, peeking over the couch to see if the noise had awoken him.

It hadn't, if anything, it caused his snores to grow. He now lay on his stomach, using both hands as a pillow under his cheek. His brown curls pooled across his face, and it took everything in me to not run over to them and run my fingers through his hair.

We weren't okay right now, and I knew that. I had a lot to make up for.

Once the house is completely clean, I go over the floor with the broom, spraying air freshener as I do. This wakes Harry up with a series of sneezes. "What-" Sneeze, "The fuck is-" Sneeze, "That?" He tosses the blanket from over his body, clearing his raspy morning voice as he crinkles his nose.