II

ramon ^

I flinch at the gruff voice, dropping the plate onto the floor and gasping loudly. I reach down, picking it up off of the gothic red carpet and holding it in my hand as a tall figure comes out of the shadows in the corner of the room. My mouth falls open when the little ray of light shine on the left side of his jaw, which was perfectly sharpened, by the way.

"Fuck, man. I'm sorry." I ramble, setting the plate back down and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

He approaches me, and with each step I'm provided a clearer view of his face. He had a softly grown beard that tugged down from his ears to underneath his chin, his hair was short and ruffled, a few locks hung over his tight eyebrows. He wore a simple black dress shirt which was tucked into his slacks. My eyes trail back up to his face, his dark green eyes were just that, dark. And his lips were pulled into a firm frown. Fuck.

I lick my lips and dart my eyes away from him, turning around as he passes me to grab the back of his chair, twisting it slowly and setting himself in it. He bites the inside of his cheek, flickering his eyes from me then to the seat in front of me as if telling me to sit down.

And I do, placing my bag in my lap and looking off to the side. He doesn't speak and it makes the room feel heavy as the silence practically screams. What a weirdo. A hot weirdo, but a weirdo nonetheless.

"Ahem," I clear my throat and look back at him, only to see that his eyes were burning holes in my face. I hated how ominous he was being, what the hell was his issue? "So, my name is Logan...and I apparently need help with my studies...so." I trail off.

He purses his lips, pushing away from the desk so quickly I almost jumped. He strides to the book shelf on the right corner and flickers through the books before pulling one down and making his way behind me, slapping it on the desk so that it creates a loud bang. This time, I jump, "Shit, dude."

"Styles." He correct, speaking for the second time. I wondered how he had such a strong British accent for us to be in North Carolina. It didn't make sense.

"Okay, Styles." I repeat, my eyes on the blue book in front of me. The Federalist Papers. "What is this?"

"If you want to learn law, you start from the beginning." He tells me, sitting back in the seat and leaning forward on his elbows, his gloomy green eyes boring into my face. I hold the book up towards him. "I know what the federalist papers are, Styles. I'm not here for a history lesson, I'm here for-"

"How many articles are in the Federalist Papers, London?"

"Logan, and 85," I shrug. I was dumb but I wasn't that dumb. And was he trying to quiz me? If he knew anything about me it was to not do this. I always had something to prove.

"Who wrote them?"

"Jay, Hamilton, and Madison." I cock an eyebrow, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning back in my seat, hiding my grin as he nods as if saying ' fair enough'.

"And why were they written?"

"To..." I pause, furrowing my eyebrows and squinting my eyes in concentration. Come one, Lo, you know this. I tap my foot on the carpet as I try to remember the article I read in eighth grade, he was right, I didn't have much knowledge on it, but who was I to let the arrogant ass know?

"To sway New York votersto choose state ratification convention delegates who would support,rather than oppose, the constitution, Logan. You'd know that if you read the title." He taps the book, giving an hubristic smile. I look down at the title and right below it reads, "For state ratification and convince support of the US. Constitution."