X

ellen^

"Your mom isn't to happy with you, mija," Miranda warns me as she passes me on the stairs, she was going up, presumably to shower, and I was going down. I roll my eyes at her remark, I knew it to be true, and I didn't feel like dealing with it. My head was pounding from last nights events and I had finally gotten a shower and my hair washed. And it was 1pm.

"Love you too," I whisper. She gives me a light chuckle before jogging the rest of the way up.

My bare feet press into the carpet as I hold onto the rail, mentally preparing myself for Ellen. For the first time, I felt she had reason to be annoyed. I didn't remember much from last night, but I do know I left to Mya's and didn't get home until almost four in the morning. Although I didn't have a curfew, but I knew that was unacceptable.

I turn the corner at the end of the stair case, walking through the living area and into the dining. Ellen sits at the table, her dirty blonde hair was braided back into a crown and she was clad in an all white robe. She read a Honey Bunches of Oates box in front of her as she stabbed at the cereal. It was so quiet, I wanted her to yell at me and get it over it with.

The floor board creeks under my foot and I flinch when the cereal box falls flat on the table and I'm met with her greenish gray eyes. Her left eye brow twitches up and I grimace, shooting her a weak smile.

"Logan." She drawls warningly as I quickly rush out of the dining room and into the kitchen in search of some breakfast. I let out a sigh, accepting my defeat as I spin on my heel and pad back to the dining area. "Cereal so late in the day?" I comment jokingly, to which she holds her strong glare on me.

I pull a chair on the opposite side of the table and sit down, reaching in the middle to grab a banana from the fruit bowl. 'Okay, Ellen, I'm ready' I think as I adjust the all black joggers I wore. I planned on wearing a shirt but Miranda had the heater turned up so high I thought I'd be better off in just my sports bra.

"How was your night?" She asks tightly.

"Good."

"That's good...you know normally," She begins. I hold back the small grin and bite down into the banana, kicking my feet against eachother as I watch her begin to cultivate her speech. "I'd be mad at you. Coming home at ungodly hours and deciding to not tell me your tutor initially turned you down?" she twitches a brow at me and I press my lips together. Miranda must have let it slip out. As much as I love her she has a huge mouth.

"But." She says sharply, pushing herself away from the table. "You went back, and got her to tutor you."

My brows furrow at her words. Her? Did she not know who was tutoring me? I thought Sharon would have disclosed that. I wondered why Ellen didn't mind me working with a man standing trial for murder. No shit, she didn't even know. It made me curious as to what else she didn't know.

"Did Sharon tell you I got turned away?" I mumble, although I knew it had to be Miranda... as Sharon missed Ellen's phone, I wanted to know what all she knew. It didn't seem like much.

"Who is Sharon?"

My eyes slightly widen but I quickly gather my expression together, luckily, my mother doesn't see me, she's rinsing out her glass bowl to put in the dishwasher.

How didn't she know who Sharon was? I explicitly remember my first time in the study, she told me she knew Ellen. She even knew where she worked. And mom didn't even know her name? I didn't want to think so hard on the situation, but it wasn't seeming to add up.

I adjust the strap on the white Nike sports bra, taking another bite into the apple as I look at the counter top.

"While I'm proud of you, this coming home at four in the morning has got to stop." My mom points at me daringly, her eyes brows raising and lips pressing together. I give a tight nod, deciding to brush my thoughts aside. Ellen is a surgeon, if we're being honest, everyone in Charlotte knew her.