XVII

ellen^

Logan

I stick the fork into the spaghetti and twirl it around. Despite Miranda putting her all into the dish, my appetite was nowhere to be found.

All I could think about was Styles somehow convincing me to open a case against him. I felt like I was put on the spot, and that he wouldn't take no for an answer. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him to pay for what he'd done. I just never had help. Now that I did, it felt surreal. I had no idea how this was going to play out and it scared me.

"Logan, are you not hungry?" Miranda asks as she places a forkful of spaghetti in her mouth. She sat across from me, next to Ellen, who read articles from her phone as she mindlessly picked at the food. I'm not sure she'd believed me when I told her I spent the night at a friends, but she didn't bother me on it either.

"I'm just not feeling well." I say truthfully.

Miranda glances at Ellen, who paid us no mind, before sighing softly. I felt bad. It was obvious that she wanted a family meal and got everything but.

"How was your day?" I ask.

"It was good, actually. Douchebag Chris finally resigned and I think they're looking at me to be manager."

I give her a raise of my eyebrows, Douchebag Chris, also known as Doctor Esha, was known for scamming. According to Miranda, when he filled cavities, he'd leave some untouched. Then, when the patient came back for a check up, he'd claim they'd gotten new ones and charge them for a second filling. And sometimes third. There was plenty more, but it was the only one I knew about.

"You never told me that." Ellen finally steps in, her brows furrowing over the glasses that sat at the bottom of her nose.

"You never asked..." Miranda fights back softly, she doesn't bother to look at her as she bites into her Texas Toast.

Ellen takes off her glasses and set them on the table and if it was quiet before, it was now. This didn't seem like it was going to end well.

"What- I have to ask to get good news from you?"

"I'm just saying that if you should even the slightest of interest then you would know. That's all."

"You know I'm busy. I have work, I have patients, I have the Top Surgeon awards in a few weeks." Mom gestures towards nothingness, her body now faced towards Miranda.

"Well I think we should just focus on Douchebag Chris quitting, this could be good for mama." I step in and attempt to diffuse the tension.

"You're always busy. Those awards have nothing to do with it." Miranda scoffs. Her long brown hair is thrown over her shoulder.

"So this is what this is about, huh?"

"I have a 81 in my Law Program." I state truthfully.

"What do you think?"

"I think you're being extremely juvenile."

"Guys can we just-"

"Ni siquiera sé por qué me molesto contigo. I can't talk to you." The fork hits the table and Miranda finally turns to Ellen, who pushes her face back in shock at the action.

"First of all, I don't even know what that means. Second of all, you want me to be a full time wife and manage these house payments? I have shit to do. I have a life. I'm sorry you can't find your own happiness and you have to beg me to drop what I'm doing for you!" Mom's voice cracks as she pushes herself away from the table and clenches her jaw, storming around the corner. I could hear her loud footsteps going up the stairs.