XVII

"So did you text her back?" China asked. She lied on her stomach on my bed, dark blue polish propped on an old book as she dipped the paint in, dragging another strip of paint across my tow before puffing out her cheeks to blow it.

I shake my head, "No, I just blocked the number. I didn't wanna be rude."

I'm sure she'd be embarrassed enough upon receiving no answer, I didn't wanna rub salt in the wound by making it known Harry was never interested and gave me her number to fuck with her.

"Hm," She hums, dipping the brush in the paint. Kendrick Lamar softly plays in the background, a song I've realized to be one of China's favorites. Since it was a Saturday, neither of us really had plans, so we decided to spend the day together. We haven't in a while, and we had plans to go out to eat until I overslept.

My entire body felt weak and exhausted, and I knew it was probably just tiredness from yesterday. Harry and I had run around the mall before settling at the food court.

China didn't mind that my body was tired and bought her nail supplies to my room. The window was open, allowing warm air in as the sun sat high in the afternoon sky. It felt good on my bare legs, seeing as I was dressed in pajama shorts and a sports bra, China the same. Her hair was tied up into a bun and her face groggy when she came in, something that told me she'd overslept too.

So here we were, her painting my toenails while I watched her from over my knees.

"So did Harry say why he turned her down, or all the other girls?" She blows on another toe, gesturing for me to slide my left foot forward.

To be honest, the answer was something I'd kept to myself, buried deep down in fears of jinxing anything. It wouldn't be a far fetch to think Harry had feelings for me. I'd be more surprised if he said he didn't. My real fear stemmed from what he'd do after acknowledging those feelings.

"I just think he didn't want me jealous," I shrug, focusing on the paint swiping up my pinky toe.

China pauses, shaking her head, "You're dumb. Either that or you're a liar."

"What?"

"He's got feelings for you, girl. That's obvious. He texts me almost every day to check on you- How's my duck feeling-" She mocks, earning a laugh from me, my heart swelling at the notion of Harry doing so. 

"Ramon's over here confessing his love for me and we literally go days without talking. And we aren't exclusive." She adds, pointing a finger at me.

"Wait, he said he loved you?" My brows furrow.

"Yeah, why?"

"I mean...when?"

"The other day. We were fuckin- literally, doing doggy, and he tells me he loves me."

"Oh my god!" I breathe out, "What did you say?"

China seems wary at my eagerness to know, her face pushing back and upper lip raising in bewilderment, "I pretended I didn't hear him."

My face falls, "China..."

"What? I'm a Libra."

"That doesn't have shit to do with shit." 

She shoots me an innocent smile, fanning my nails and pushing herself up on her elbows, handing me to bottle so we could switch spots. I don't lay down as she was, instead, letting her sit on her butt, palms rested into the bed, and I grab her leg to sit on my lap, cautiously dipping the brush in the paint and going over her big toe, "You know, when we were in high school, Ramon told me he wanted to get married before he graduated college." I recall.