XXIV

Logan

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was the dull ache between my legs, one that I could blame on both Harry's size and his desperate thrust. The second thing I noticed was Harry was nowhere to be found.

I'd stretched my fingers across the cool duvet where I knew his body would be, only to frown when I felt how cold it was due to the lack of his presence.

I got up after that, rubbing the sleepiness out of my eyes and damn near limping off the bed and to the bathroom, which was empty. The house was completely silent with the exception of the patter of the rain outside, and the low hum of traffic since he lived so close to the highway.

It'd only taken me two minutes to brush my teeth and let out a quick pee. My face is washed with Harry's face wash and I finger comb the bun from my head and braid a single braid down to my mid-back. I give my appearance one last look, somewhat excited as I thought Harry would be in the kitchen when I walked out. I never cared how I looked around him, but now, I found myself smoothing down my eyebrows and taking a deep breath before whipping the bathroom door open.

And again nothing.

His apartment isn't big at all, so after a little walk around, my hopes were deflated. He wasn't here and I'm not sure where he went. I think to call or text him, but I don't want to seem clingy. Maybe he'd just taken out the trash, or gone to the store to pick something up.

I can't help but be worried that maybe he ran off because of what happened last night. Did he regret having sex with me? Or was it our argument, did I say something that got to him? I accused him of forcing me to give a statement, but can he blame me?

I'm not sure I believe it now, I think I was just guilty about snitching on my ex-best friend (stupid, I know), and I needed someone to blame it on. He told me that I can't see when people are trying to help me, and maybe he was telling the truth.

On my way out of the kitchen, I catch a glimpse of the pile of mail on the island top. There's a letter that catches my eye, seeing that IMMEDIATE RESPONSE is in big, bold, red letters on the front. I grab it and a paper slips out, my eyes instantly reading over the words.

Your case has been set for jury trial on May 17, 2021, at 9 o'clock in the county courthouse, located at Mecklenburg County Courthouse in Charlotte. Your case is before Judge Andrew Jones in courtroom 002.

What the fuck? Harry is going to court? In May? That's two months from now. Is this because of his case?

I fold the letter back into the envelope and make my way to the couch, telling myself that this was nothing more than a speeding ticket or something. I don't know where I stand in his life, but I'd like to think he'd tell me if he was actually going to court for Jason's murder.

I found myself on his couch, playing American Horror story at a soft volume on his TV as I waited patiently.

I'm cut from my thoughts me my phone buzzes on his coffee table, signifying a message. I lean down to grab it to see a text from Ramon.

Ramon: im ready to fuckin go bruh

Me: wht happened?

Ramon: her dad is talking abt immigration...

Me: oh god.

Ramon: never dating interracially again.

Me: lmaooooo pls

I think to make a joke about him and China's secret relationship, but I don't know if she wants me to tell him. Or if he even wants me to know.