III

Lo^

I hadn't spoken a single word to Ellen since Friday night. Now, I stayed in my room more than ever.

After the argument, she had tossed my phone onto my bed, making sure I knew that she 'didn't care anymore' and that I can do whatever the hell I wanted. Since then, no word from her either. I regret what I said, more so for Miranda's sake. She came to the room that very night, crying. I didn't mean to hurt her as much as I did Ellen, and it backfired. I knew for the longest that Ellen didn't want me here. I always felt that adopting me was more Miranda's decision than hers, and that night proved it. 

Miranda told me they were going to Florida, as a surpise. But Ellen didn't want to take me anymore. I don't deserve it. So tommorow morning, they were leaving to the airport without me, and taking my surprise trip with them. I don't know what I'm going to do for the few days being left alone, but I figure it'd be deppressing.

Now that I got my phone back, I'd seen that there were a few text messages the unknown nuber that had texted me a while ago, but I ignore them upon seeing messages from Styles. There were only about four, all of them were him just checking on me. The last one was received just minutes ago.

With my eyes being too heavy to respond, I swipe out of them and open Instagram, it's quickly closed when a new post of Ryder's is the first on my feed. I forgot to block it. The phone is given up and tossed next to me as I bite into a blueberry muffin, finishing it off.

It's 11:23pm, and the small Roku TV on my dresser played Criminal Minds. The heavy rain assaulted my window in the most comforting way. I could hear Miranda and Ellen downstairs, arguing. I don't know what it was about this time, and I didn't care. The comforter is pulled over my face and I let out a deep sigh, allowing my body to sink into the mattress and eventually sleep.

The next morning, I'm jerked out of my sleep by my phone buzzing directly in my ear. My face scrunches up in tired annoyance as I groan and roll over, quickly grabbing it and preparing to curse whoever is on the other line out for disturbing my sleep at 9:56am. Miranda and Ellen left for the airport around six. They didn't say goodbye? I shake my head and squint at the screen.

Styles.

My eyes widen and are unblinking as I stare at the screen, it's been a week, and why is he calling me? He doesn't call me.

"Hello?" I answer, clearing my throat after realizing I sounded like Darth Vader on steroids. I sit up, pushing my weight on my left palm as I held the phone in my other. The room is gloomy, as the sun hid behind the clouds, only allowing a dim lighting. I notice a note on my dresser, next to the TV.

"Logan." His voice is thick and it sounds like he's completely awake, I hear him turn a page, telling me that he's reading, "Did I wake you?"

"No, no. You're fine. What's up?"

"I um, I heard some news about Kenneth." Oh shit. "Turns out he's claiming he doesn't remember anything from that night and was practically begging that the case be closed, so...you're good." He sighs out.

"Oh," To be honest, I'd forgotten about it. Which is weird, who forgets that they shot someone. I can't help but wonder exactly why Kenneth wanted the case closed.

"Thought you'd be more excited to hear that."

"I am, I am. I'm just, surprised." I explain as I rub a fist against my eye. My words turn into a loud yawn, "So, anyway ... what are you gonna do about Sharon?"

I hear him sigh again, followed by the book he was reading shutting, "I already spoke to the court, for obvious reasons her letter is null and void. But I don't know."