IV

When I wake, it's because of the sun relentlessly shining in the direct spot that China and I lay. She ended up on her stomach with both arms sprawled out, one over my stomach as I lay on my back. She stirred in her sleep before lifting her head at me, then at the window and groaning, "We need some fucking curtains, bro." She hoarsely complains before dropping her head back on her pillow. 

I only hum in agreeance, blinking harshly as I cough lightly and get up. I can most definitely feel the effects of sleeping on the hardwood floor as each bone in my fucking body cracks like a glow stick at the slightest movement.

I reach over and lazily grab at my phone, my heart deflating when I see that there's not a single message from Harry.

China and I get up and due to us being clueless college students, we realize there is nothing in the fridge to eat except leftover Chinese. So she tells me she'll take a shower and head to class, asking if I wanted to ride with her but I tell her no, which pretty much left me alone for the day. I know I probably should have gone but I'm in such a tired mood that I don't have the energy. Plus, the semester is nearly over so I'm not really worried about missing a day.

I take a shower and wash my hair before braiding it in two braids past my shoulders. A pale, stripped, tight-fitted shirt is thrown on underneath a pair of baggy overalls. I have to do laundry soon since we don't have a washer and dryer set, but more importantly, I need to buy some groceries. I check my allowance card and confirm that I have money to spend before throwing on my FIla's and grabbing my lanyard from the countertop.

Aldi is half a mile from here, so I know I won't get lost and the groceries are fairly inexpensive. I'll get the basics, milk, cereal, rice...what else does Miranda get?

The store is empty and as I push the buggy around to collect the small household items, I can't help the giddy feeling of excitement. I'm officially shopping for my apartment. I can tell China was excited as well because of the way she gave me a squeal as she dangled her copy of the apartment key at me before leaving.

They don't have Lactaid, so I make a note to go to a different grocery store for the milk and I settle on getting bread, cereal, and some other dry snacks. I pass the ramen aisle and grab some packets before checking out and making my way back home.

I'm at a stoplight when I glance to my right and immediately notice a familiar set of apartments down the road. Harry's.

The light is red, giving me enough time to ponder what I want to do. Should I show up at his house? No, that'd be weird. What if he has company over. I don't want a repeat of when I opened his car door while he was talking to his dad.

But also, we live so close. I could just pretend I was in the area and wanted to stop by, which is true. 

Before I can give myself any time to overthink it, I flick my turning signal on and check for cars before peeling down the road, straightening myself up in my seat as I slow down to the parking lot and look around at the numbers. I can recognize his building but I'm sure he takes a different entrance than I did.

It doesn't take me long before I find it and park the car, tugging the keys out and flopping down the mirror to smooth out my braids and turnaround to make sure nothing is on my ass.

I take the elevator up to the second floor and mindlessly pick at the skin on my nails as I think over what I'm going to say. Hey, I was grocery shopping for my new apartment- did I tell you I got a new apartment? No.

Hey! Just stopped to check on you after you didn't text or call me. No.

The elevator dings and I part my lips open to inhale a soft breath, moving over to let a family in as I speedwalk down the hall to Harry's door, raising my fist, and knocking twice.