Chapter 9: Be okay for me?

Dream did not need the doctors to tell him that his home was no longer going to be real. He did not need them to tell him how his parents were, nothing but ash. He did not need any of that knowledge or any knowledge that his family was gone. Just like that, happiness was gone.

The smile on the mask which he clutched to his chest seemed somewhat appropriate. When he was down, his dad would smile and hug him and then they would go and play outside. There was a smile, and, in his eyes, that was all he had. In his eyes, it had to be enough, whether he liked it or not.

It had to be okay. He had to be okay. His family would say that times would get rough, and they weren't wrong about that. But first, he must push through whatever this bump was. It seemed like it couldn't get any worse, but he was truly lost in thought.

A child who lost practically everything being silent, the only noise in the room being the doctors rushing around and the bandages being replaced to treat the burns. A sweet young man looked at him in his eyes, gesturing at the mask which Dream hesitantly gave.

The man was dressed in dark clothes, unlike all the others. Brown hair and sunglasses with the most cheerful smile despite the situation he saw the child in. He held the mask gently and then adjusted it to fit Dream's face. Dream's eyes trailed to the tag of the doctor. Doctor Sky... an odd name but who's he to judge?

"Look kid, I need you to do one thing." His voice was gentle as the little boy in front of him nodded slowly. "I need you to be okay. Life is going to be tough from now on, not going to lie. Your dad never liked liars," he laughed slightly before holding the trembling hand of his patient.

"I knew your dad from a while back... it's okay. He always had this weird phrase whenever we did anything stupid, wanna hear it?" He asked as Dream nodded, eyes to the ground.

Doctor Sky changed up his voice to match somewhat of Dream's father... or at least attempt. "Be okay for me?" Sky spoke overly sweet. "He said it like that when I went to go beat up his bully. Yes, I won that fight. Anyways..." his voice trailed off as Dream looked up, eyes widening.

"Be okay for him? I know he'd like that," Doctor Sky spoke before ruffling the dirty-blonde's hair and leaving the room. As Dream grew up, he lived by that line.

I'll be okay for you Dad.

~

Time seemed to slow as the ground below him, which he once called safety, became unstable. Reaching out for a nonexistent ledge. His eyes furiously looked back and forth for any way to escape. There was no ledge and the only thing he could hear was the cries of his brothers.

His eyes glanced at the bridge which formed at the side of the cave walls. 'The chest must've done that,' he thought to himself, watching as the other three crossed it to the other side of the cave.

The amber eyes which looked back at him with terror; that's what terrified Dream. Not the fact he was falling to a burning death but the eyes which looked back at him. He had to be okay... not for himself. No, it had to be for them.

Dream rummaged through his pockets for anything of use as he could feel his face heat up from the lava. 'C'mon, there's got to be something. Anything!' His hands were brushed against the cool ball in his hoodie pocket.

'Pearl please... do your thing.'

He threw the ender pearl as far as he could and prayed it would hit something before, he fell to a certain death. It was a calculated risk, throw it straight and when the pearl hit the cave wall, he would fall a few meters or risk the pearl not hitting anything in time.